Saint Mary's Swim Dual Meet
Swimming - Kalamazoo Wins Final Event for Dual Meet Victory Against Saint Mary’s
February 1, 2008, NOTRE DAME, IN – For the third time in the last four swimming/diving meets the Saint Mary’s team result came down to the final event and for the third occasion Saint Mary’s came out on the short end of the stick. Kalamazoo posted victory in the 16th and final event, the 400 yard freestyle relay, to record a 149-145 win on Friday evening.
The win lifts the Hornets dual meet record to 3-4 overall and 3-2 in MIAA meets while Saint Mary’s dual meet season ends with records of 4-6 and 2-4 respectively.
Saint Mary’s won half of the events competed in highlighted by a College record time of 4:12.53 in the 400 IM relay. The team of Maggie Williams, Casey Nizer, Caroline Arness and Lauren Hartman beat the previous time of 4:15.06 set during the 2001-2002 season. During that same event Williams swam a time of 1:01.96 in the backstroke leg which broke the College mark of 1:03.10 set during the 2003-2004 season.
Niezer also picked up a pair of individual wins in the 100 Breast Stroke (1:11.49) and the 200 Breast Stroke (2:35.40).
Leah Bocinski won both the diving events by tallying 211.30 points in the one-meter event and 199.55 points during the three-meter event.
Saint Mary’s Event Winners (time/score)
- 400 IM Relay – Maggie Williams, Casey Niezer, Caroline Arness, Lauren Hartman (4:12.53 [previous mark – 4:15.06]) *
* Note – During first league of relay, Maggie Williams set school record for 100 yard back stroke with a time of 1:01.96 (previous mark – 1:03.10)
- 1000 Freestyle – Melissa Gerbeth (10:53.98)
- 100 Backstroke – Maggie Williams (1:03.43)
- 100 Breast Stroke – Casey Niezer (1:11.49)
- 50 Freestyle – Lauren Hartman (25.93)
- 200 Breast Stroke – Casey Niezer (2:35.40)
- 1 Meter Diving – Leah Bocinski (211.30)
- 3 Meter Diving – Leah Bocinksi (199.55)
* - Denotes School Record