SMC at MIAA Tournament - Day One
Belles Blank Bulldogs after Falling to Brits
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - In day one of the MIAA Tournament, the Saint Mary's College tennis team came back to take a 6-0 decision from Adrian after falling 5-3 in the morning session to Albion.
In the tournament format, the match is ended when one competing team wins their fifth flight to ensure a victory.
Against Albion in the first match of the tournament, the Belles got a hard-fought win at #2 doubles from Franca Peluso and Betsy Reed. The pair emerged victorious after the duo for the Belles forced a tie-breaker. They went on to use their momentum to win 7-1 in the tie-breaker.
At singles, Camille Gebert took little time for her 16th win of the season at #2 singles with a 6-0, 6-0 victory.
In one of the most dramatic singles matches of the year, Betsy Reed found herself coming back from deficits in each set before ultimately taking a win. After an evenly played beginning of the match at #4 singles, Reed's counterpart took a 5-4 lead before the sophomore rattled off three straight games and battled back to a 7-5 win. In the second set, Reed once again found herself trailing, but this time by a 5-2 margin. Determined to get things done in two sets, she went on to win the next five straight games to take a thrilling 7-5 win.
With the Brits and the Belles tied at 3-3 after the completion of the doubles and the #1, #2, and #4 singles, whichever team took two of the final three matches would be the victor. Unfortunately for the Belles, Albion would emerge with the win.
The Belles bounced right back, however. With less than an hour between matches, Saint Mary's came out with something to prove in their second match of the day by taking a decisive 6-0 win from Adrian.
Franca Peluso and Betsy Reed continued a strong day for the Belles with an 8-0 win at doubles. Jessica Kosinski and Mary Therese Lee also picked up an impressive 8-2 win at #3 doubles for Saint Mary's.
Camille Gebert improved to 17-3 on the season and extended her winning streak to 11 straight decisions at #2 singles with a 6-2, 6-0 win. Jessica Camp (6-2, 6-1) and Jillian Hurley (6-3, 6-1) also added singles wins to ensure the win for the Belles.
Saint Mary's will now face #7 seeded Olivet at noon tomorrow to determine who will take fifth place at this year's MIAA Tournament.
Albion College 5, Saint Mary's College 3
1. Shelley Zamler (ALBIONW) def. Jillian Hurley (SMC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Camille Gebert (SMC) def. Cassie Simmelink (ALBIONW) 6-0, 6-0
3. Morgan Watler (ALBIONW) def. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
4. Betsy Reed (SMC) def. Anna Gundersen (ALBIONW) 7-5, 7-5
5. Franca Peluso (SMC) vs. Halie Kerver (ALBIONW) no result
6. Sarah Towler (ALBIONW) def. Jessica Camp (SMC) 6-0, 6-4
1. Anna Gundersen/Shelley Zamler (ALBIONW) def. Camille Gebert/Jillian Hurley (SMC) 8-1
2. Franca Peluso/Betsy Reed (SMC) def. Halie Kerver/Morgan Watler (ALBIONW) 9-8 (7-1)
3. Tessa Morris/Sarah Towler (ALBIONW) def. Jessica Kosinski/Mary Therese Lee (SMC) 8-2
Saint Mary's College 6, Adrian College 0
1. Jillian Hurley (SMC) def. Robyn Denney (ADRIAN) 6-3, 6-1
2. Camille Gebert (SMC) def. Adrienne Haase (ADRIAN) 6-2, 6-0
3. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) vs. Katelyn Simcina (ADRIAN) no result
4. Betsy Reed (SMC) vs. Shelby Kruszewski (ADRIAN) no result
5. Franca Peluso (SMC) vs. Sarah Kean (ADRIAN) no result
6. Jessica Camp (SMC) def. Shannon Woods (ADRIAN) 6-2, 6-1
1. Camille Gebert/Jillian Hurley (SMC) def. Sarah Brooks/Robyn Denney (ADRIAN) 8-4
2. Franca Peluso/Betsy Reed (SMC) def. Sarah Kean/Shelby Kruszewski (ADRIAN) 8-0
3. Jessica Kosinski/Mary Therese Lee (SMC) def. Adrienne Haase/Shannon Woods (ADRIAN) 8-2