SMC vs. Alma
Belles Defeat Scots in MIAA Opener
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Saint Mary's College tennis team opened up their MIAA season with an 8-1 victory over Alma College on Saturday.
With inclement weather in the forecast, the match was moved to the Michigan State University Indoor Tennis Facility in East Lansing, Mich.
After a couple of closely played doubles matches at the #2 and #3 flights that were split by both teams, the Belles battled to take control the match. Jillian Hurley and Betsy Reed both made quick work of their opponents. Hurley won 6-2, 6-2 while Reed only surrendered a single game of her match to win 6-0, 6-1. After hard-fought 7-5 wins in their first sets, Camille Gebert, Franca Peluso, and Laura Arnold each maintained momentum to take their matches.
Jessica Kosinski had one of the most exciting matches of the day. The sophomore fell in her opening set, but then dug out a 7-5 decision in the second set to force a 10 point super tie-breaker. Down the stretch, Kosinski was able to get it done for the Belles as Saint Mary's took all six singles matches for the 8-1 win.
The Belles (5-5, 1-0 MIAA) are slated to host Trine University on Tuesday, March 31 beginning at 4:00 p.m.
1. Jillian Hurley/Camille Gebert (SMC) def. Laura McKendry/Jen Meloche (ACW09) 8-3
2. Jessica Kosinski/Betsy Reed (SMC) def. Emily Noss/Lauren Stevenson (ACW09) 8-6
3. Amy Baranowski/Kelsey Erwin (ACW09) def. Franca Peluso/Jessica Camp (SMC) 8-6
1. Jillian Hurley (SMC) def. Laura McKendry (ACW09) 6-2, 6-2
2. Camille Gebert (SMC) def. Amy Baranowski (ACW09) 7-5, 6-1
3. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) def. Jen Meloche (ACW09) 4-6, 7-5, 13-11
4. Betsy Reed (SMC) def. Abbey McCue (ACW09) 6-0, 6-1
5. Franca Peluso (SMC) def. Emily Noss (ACW09) 7-5, 6-1
6. Laura Arnold (SMC) def. Heather Spratt (ACW09) 7-5, 6-4