SMC vs. Indiana Wesleyan
#16 Wildcats Get Best of Belles
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's College tennis team dropped a 9-0 decision to NAIA #16 Indiana Wesleyan on Saturday.
The excitement of the day for the Belles came in the #6 and #2 singles competitions. In the #6 singles flight, Laura Arnold battled back from a 4-1 deficit to make the second set 5-4 before falling in the next game. All eyes were on the #2 singles battle between Camille Gebert and Lisa Massey. Massey took the opening set 6-3. In the second set, Gebert was able to establish a lead early on and took the set in a tie-breaker. The two went to a 10 point super tie-breaker to decide the match. It would be Massey who would prevail in the tie-breaker this time with a 10-6 score.
In exhibition singles, Monica Way and Mary Therese Lee both won their matches. Way took an 8-6 decision while Lee won 9-8.
The Belles will open up conference play next Saturday when they travel to Alma College for a 1:00 p.m. start.
1. Julia Hedgebeth (IWU) def. Jillian Hurley (SMC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Lisa Massey (IWU) def. Camille Gebert (SMC) 6-3, 6-7 (6-8), 10-6
3. Eva Delk (IWU) def. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Caitlin McGuire (IWU) def. Betsy Reed (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Courtney Kooyers (IWU) def. Jessica Camp (SMC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Laura Helm (IWU) def. Laura Arnold (SMC) 6-1, 6-4
1. Lisa Massey/Eva Delk (IWU) def. Jillian Hurley/Camille Gebert (SMC) 8-1
2. Julia Hedgebeth/Caitlin McGuire (IWU) def. Jessica Kosinski/Betsy Reed (SMC) 8-5
3. Courtney Kooyers/Laura Helm (IWU) def. Jessica Camp/Laura Arnold (SMC) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,3,5,6,1,2)