Ella S. Harmeyer
Ella Harmeyer has devoted her life to understanding and educating on community issues in nursing. Her students gain clinical experience where people live and work, with an emphasis on providing holistic nursing care in the real world. She serves in key positions in local grassroots organizations such as Healthy Babies Project of Saint Joseph County, and national organizations such as the American Nurses’ Association (ANA).
MS, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
BSN, Indiana University
Areas of Expertise
Community assessment and health planning
Health education, health promotion, and disease prevention
CHN Clinical site framework
Children with special needs care and support for families
Community outreach and education for infant health
Public health nursing
Public health policy
Courses Recently Taught
- NURS 424: Community health nursing
- Saint Mary's College, Associate Professor, 2010–present
- Saint Mary's College, Chair Nursing Department, 2003–2005
- Saint Mary's College, Assistant Professor, 1984–2010
- Staff Nurse, Memorial Hospital of South Bend, Indiana, 1989
- Outreach Nurse, South Bend Community Health Center, 1985
- Staff Nurse, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, Chapel Hill, 1982–1984
- Assistant Supervisor, Liaison Nurse, Staff Nurse, Health and Hospital Corporation, Indianapolis, Indiana 1978–1981
Creative and Scholarly Work
- President's message, Indiana State Nurses' Association Bulletin, August 2008.
- President's message, Indiana State Nurses' Association Bulletin, April/May 2008.
- President's message, Indiana State Nurses' Association Bulletin, December 2007.
- Adolescent Support and Parenting Project, 1991–1997
- American Nurses' Association, 1978–present
- American Public Health Association, 1982–present
- Association of Community Health Nursing Educators, 1986–2000
- B.A.B.E. Advisory Council, 2000–2007, 2009–present
- Every Child by Two, 1996–1999
- Healthy Babies Project of Saint Joseph County, 1988–2000, 2003–present
Steering Committee, Revitilization Committee, Research and Education Subcommittee, Evaluation Subcommittee, Future Planning Committee
- Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition, 1990–1997
- Indiana Health Centers, Inc., 1996–present
Board of Directors, president, president-elect
- Indiana Nurses’ Foundation 1989–1995
- Indiana State Nurses’ Association, 1978–1982, 1984–present
President, Vice President, Board of Directors
- Infant Mortality Case Review Committee, 1996–1997, 2008–present
- Saint Joseph County Minority Health Coalition, 1996–present
- National Down Syndrome Congress, 1998–2005
- North Carolina State Nurses’ Association, 1982–1984
- Nurses for Political Action-Founding Member, 1990–present
- Nursing Research Consortium of North Central Indiana-President, 1985–present
- Nu Omicron Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society for Nurses, 1991–present
- “Parable of the Starfish,” American Public Health Association, Denver, CO, Oct. 2010.
- “Building Community Partnerships,” Many Voices, One Vision Conference, sponsored by the Indiana Government Criminal Justice Institute, Indianapolis, IN, Aug. 2007.
- “Alcohol, Tobacco, and Pregnancy,” Many Voices, One Vision Conference, sponsored by the Indiana Government Criminal Justice Institute, Indianapolis, IN, Aug. 2007.
Awards and Honors
- Partners in Prevention Award, Healthy Babies Coalition, 1993
- Search for Excellence Award, Indiana State Nurses' Association, 1992
- Blee-Hay Leadership Award, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Nursing School of Public Health, 1984