PhD, City University of New York
BS, University of Arizona
- Global Political Economy
- Southeast Asia
- Middle East and North Africa
Courses Recently Taught
- ANTH 141: People and nature
- ANTH 253: Survey I: culture and language
- ANTH 320: Anthropology of race and racism
- ANTH 346: Gender in cross-cultural perspectives
- ANTH 364: Ethnographic methods
- ANTH 392: People and culture of Southeast Asia
- Currently I am a Fulbright U.S. Scholar, in Malaysia, in affiliation with the Academy of Islamic Studies and Department of Gender Studies, University of Malaya.
Creative and Scholarly Work
- Gendered accounts of expertise within Islamic finance and financialization in Malaysia. (forthcoming) In Sharia Dynamics, Ed. Timothy Daniels. Palgrave MacMillan, Contemporary Anthropology of Religion Series.
- Elder, Laura, Abrar Fitwi. "Unraveling risk and return in Malaysian Islamic banking: Does the perceived high return exist?" Journal of Economics, Finance, and Accounting, Vol. 2(2) (2015):194-207.
- "Malaysian Airlines, Neoliberalism, and Business as Usual in Malaysia." Special Issue Inter-Asian (post) neoliberalism: Adoption, Disjuncture, and TransgressionAsian Journal of Social Science, Vol. 43 (1-2) (2015): 23-49.
- "The Sinkholes of Global Finance: Racialization and Cosmopolitanism among Financial Elites in Malaysia." Journal of International and Global Studies, Vol. 3(2) (2012):47-65.
- Faith in Finance: Muslim Women Re-making Financial Worlds. (book manuscript in preparation)
- American Anthropological Association
- Association for the Anthropology of Policy
- Association for Feminist Anthropology
- Organizer for Interest Group for the Anthropology of Corporations
- Society for Economic Anthropology
- Society for Urban, National, Transnational/Global Anthropology
- Critical Approaches to Islamic Law & Economy, International Collaborative Group
- Association for Asian Studies
- Malaysia, Singapore, and Brunei Studies Group
- National Women’s Studies Association