Mary Kay Welle
Professor Welle brings a background of both in-patient and out-patient nursing care to the Department of Nursing. She has worked with neurology, orthopaedic, trauma, and surgery patients during her time as a practicing registered nurse at Memorial Hospital, the Orthopedic Sports Medical Center in Elkhart, the college health clinic at Indiana University South Bend, and North Central Neurosurgery. Welle has nearly a decade of teaching experience with higher education experience at Valparaiso University and Indiana University South Bend prior to beginning her current teaching path at Saint Mary’s College.
MSN, Valparaiso University
BSN, Indiana University, South Bend
BA, College of Saint Benedict
Areas of Expertise
Medical Surgical nursing
Evidence Based Practice
- Postoperative infection prevention
- Venous thromboembolism prevention
- Effective clinical learning for the undergraduate nursing student
- Evidence based practice in the undergraduate nursing curriculum
- Care of the orthopaedic and trauma patient
Courses Recently Taught
- NURS 321: Nursing care of adults- acute
- NURS 497: Independent study
- NURS 999: Senior comprehensive
- NURS 321L: Nursing care of adults- acute clinical
- Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, IN, Associate Professor, 2014–present
- Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, IN, Assistant Professor, 2008–2014
- Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, IN, Visiting Professor, 2007
- Indiana University South Bend, Visiting Lecturer, Spring 2007
- North Central Neurosurgery, South Bend, IN, Advanced Nurse Practice CNS, January-April 2007
- Indiana University South Bend, Adjunct Faculty Member, 2005–2006
- Valparaiso University, Adjunct Faculty and Teaching Assistant, Spring 2006
- Valparaiso University, Teaching Assistant, Fall 2005
- Indiana University South Bend, College Health Clinic RN, 2004–2005
- Orthopedic Sports Medical Center, Elkhart, IN, Ambulatory Orthopaedic Clinic RN, 2003–2005
- Memorial Hospital, South Bend, IN, Orthopaedic-Neuro Unit RN, 1996–2003
Creative and Scholarly Work
- "Understanding the new emerging oral anticoagulants for venous thromboembolism prophylaxis." Orthopaedic Nursing (2012): 31(5), 265-278. doi:10.1097/NOR06013e31826649a0.
- "Inferior vena cava filter use as pulmonary embolism prophylaxis in trauma." Orthopaedic Nursing (2011): 30(2), 98-114. doi: 10.1097/NOR.06013e31820f5128.
- Welle, M.K., A. Peacock-Johnson. "Clinical Hours: Perception of Students for a 9-hour Hospital Clinical Practicum and a 3-hour Seminar." Sigma Theta Tau International 24th Nursing Research Congress, Prague, Czech Republic, July 22-26, 2013.
- "Evidence Based Practice Starting Blocks: Academics and Practice Collaboration." Sigma Theta Tau International 24th Nursing Research Congress, Prague, Czech Republic, July 22-26, 2013.
- "The Use of Inferior Vena Cava Filters in Trauma." 30th Annual Congress, National Association of Orthopaedic Nurses, Seattle, WA, May 15-19, 2010.
- "Asking the burning question: The catalyst for practice change." Panel presentation: Research SIG: "Orthopaedic Nursing Research: PhD Not Reguired but Always Welcome." 35nd Annual Congress, National Association of Orthopaedic Nursing, Nashville, TN, May 16-19, 2015.
- American Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists, 2007-2009
- American Association of Neuroscience Nursing, 2007-2009
- Nursing Research Consortium of North Central Indiana, 2006-present
- American Nurses Association
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society, 1996-present
- National Association of Orthopaedic Nurses, 1996-present
Awards and Honors
- Faculty Travel Grant, June 2013
- Nan Hilt Writer’s Award, May 2012
- Faculty Development Grant recipient, April 2011
- Saint Mary’s College Woman of the Year Nominee, March 2011
- Gigi Viellion Memorial Evidence-Based Practice Scholarship, August 2010
- Academic Excellence Award, Valparaiso University, January 2007
- Spirit of Nursing Award, Indiana University South Bend, 1996