MA, PhD, University of California, Irvine
BA, Oberlin College
- China under Mao
- Student activism and social movements in East Asia
- Independent documentary films
- 20th-century Chinese higher education
Courses Recently Taught
- Hist 103 Pre-Modern World Civilization
Creative and Scholarly Work
- (Co-author with Jeffrey Wasserstrom) “Airbrushing History.” Index on Censorship, vol. 46, issue 2, 2017, http://journals.sagepub.com/d
- “Chinese Documentaries.” In Popular Culture in Asia and Oceania, edited by Kathy Nadeau and Jeremy Murray. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2016.
- “Yan’an’s Iron Bodhisattva: Hunting Spies in the Rectification Movement.” In 1943: China at the Crossroads, edited by Matt Combs and Joseph Esherick, 203-241. Ithaca, NY: Cornell East Asia Series, 2015.