What It Means to Be Division III
“Follow your passions and discover your potential”
The college experience is a time of learning and growth – a chance to follow passions and develop potential. For student-athletes in Division III, all of this happens most importantly in the classroom and through earning an academic degree. The Division III experience provides for passionate participation in a competitive athletic environment, where student-athletes push themselves to excellence and build upon their academic success with new challenges and life skills.
Student-athletes are encouraged to pursue the full spectrum of opportunities available during their time in college. In this way, Division III provides an integrated environment for student-athletes to take responsibility for their own paths, follow their passions and find their potential through a comprehensive learning experience.
Division III champions the student-athlete and allows them to achieve tremendous things in and out of the classroom. As such, six key areas can be focused upon to ensure that Division III encourages student-athletes to become leaders of today and tomorrow - Proportion, Comprehensive Learning, Passion, Responsibility, Sportsmanship, and Citizenship.
Our student-athletes live these practices of Division III each day. Saint Mary's College and the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association are helping to promote the values of Division III by showcasing athletes and teams who live out these attributes. For the 2012-13 academic year, the MIAA and its members are showing how the conference lives the Division III mission while celebrating the 125th anniversary of the league.
Read more about Saint Mary's Director of Athletics Julie Schroeder-Biek and her experience as a student-athlete, coach, and athletic director.
Take a look at a story about MIAA SAAC President and junior soccer player Kaitlin Teichman and her connection to the MIAA.
Proportion: Appropriate relation of academics with opportunities to pursue athletics and other passions
Comprehensive Learning: Opportunity for broad-based education and success
Passion: Playing for the love of the game, competition, fun and self-improvement
Responsibility: Development of accountability through personal commitment and choices
Sportsmanship: Fair and respectful conduct toward all participants and supporters
Citizenship: Dedication to developing responsible leaders and citizens in our communities
Athletic Excellence: Competing for championships both on the conference level and nationally
- Proportion: Saint Mary's Student-Athletes - Not Your Average Summer Vacation
- Comprehensive Learning: Patsy Mahoney - The Big Picture
- Passion: Audrey Dalrymple - Keeping Focus
- Sportsmanship: Saint Mary's Soccer - Striving to Defeat Domestic Violence
- Excellence: Saint Mary's Tennis - Building a Tradition
- Proportion: Hayley Bojorquez - More Than Just a Student-Athlete
- Comprehensive Learning: Lauren Easton - Running the Country
- Passion: Jackie Bauters - Running for Something More
- Responsibility: Katie Griffin - A Soldier of Responsibility
- Sportsmanship: Mary Kate Boyce - Defining Character
- Citizenship: Saint Mary's SAAC - Citzens of a Global Community
- Excellence: Saint Mary's Golf - Aiming High