Advanced Writing Requirement in Mathematics
The Advanced Writing Requirement in Mathematics
The purpose of the Advanced Writing Requirement in Mathematics is to nurture the development of the mathematical writing of our students in order to deepen their understanding of mathematics and to enable them to communicate mathematical ideas to a range of audiences. This experience will also help prepare students for the writing needed in their professional careers. Fulfillment of the advanced writing requirement in the major is required for graduation from Saint Mary's College.
Papers should be prepared in compliance with the statement on Academic Honesty in the Student Handbook. Students are expected to work independently. Papers which are substantially identical will be rejected. Infractions of the code will be referred to the Academic Affairs Office.
To demonstrate proficiency in mathematical writing, the student will prepare a portfolio consisting of three papers as described below [see The Portfolio]. In each case, the paper must be approved by a committee of the Mathematics Department.
Mathematics Advanced W Resources
- This Advanced Writing Booklet as a single document (.pdf file)
- Format and template for an in-course paper:
- The descriptive document with explanations, examples (.pdf file)
- The TeX source of the descriptive document with copyable commands (.tex file)
- For the diagram that's included, you also need The diagram - put this in the same directory as the source document (.jpg file)
- The basic frame document (with preamble, setings) (.tex file)
- The template for the Senior Comprehensive Paper. Use this template to type your paper in order to have the correct sections, formatiing, table of contents, etc. This is the updated version from Fall 2012
- The TeX source (.tex document) type your text in the sections of this document (.tex file)
- Typeset version showing the results (.pdf document)
- More information on the Senior Comprehensive Project in Mathematics