Indirect Cost Distribution Policy
Saint Mary’s College has received an Indirect Cost Rate of 50% from the federal Office of Budgets and Management.
Indirect costs represent the expenses of doing business that are not readily identified with a particular grant, contract, project function or activity, but are necessary for the general operation of the organization and the conduct of activities it performs. For example, utilities, administrative personnel, and equipment shared by multiple faculty within a department. Saint Mary’ College has established an Indirect Cost Distribution policy and procedure.
Approved January 14, 2014
- For grants in which indirect costs are recovered, the College further establishes the following policies and procedures regarding Indirect Cost distributions.
- The College has established a distribution of funds from the Indirect Costs awarded by the grantor. The distribution of funds from the indirect cost shall be as follows:
- 65% to the College
- 25% to the Department of the awarded grant
- 10% to the Vice President’s office which supervises the grant
Department distribution of Indirect Costs
- Distributions of recovered indirect costs given to the sponsoring department will be used for the following:
a. Contingency funds for items not allowed or anticipated in the grant program b. Operating funds for maintenance of equipment and materials c. Travel for faculty and/or students to present findings at conferences beyond those named in the grant d. Start-up money for new faculty e. Seed money for new or secondary grant directions f. Further resource material as books, databases, etc. that came to light in implementing the project
- Approval of Department distribution of funds shall include:
- A discussion between the Principal Investigator of the grant and the Department Chair.
- A discussion between Department Chair and supervising Vice President, and/or the Dean of Faculty if appropriate.
Vice President distribution of Indirect Cost
- Distribution of indirect costs to the sponsoring Vice President may be used for the following:
- Seed money for a department that has not recently applied for or received a grant
- Membership renewal in research associations
- Matching funds for future grants
- Travel for faculty/students to professional conferences that have a grant opportunity
No Conflict with other College Policies and Procedures
The distribution of Indirect Costs funds shall not negatively or adversely affect any current College and/or departmental policies and procedures nor put undue restrain on other department’s ability to conduct their standard operating procedures.