Part 3: Other Contractual Benefits and Information

(from SECTION IV of the Governance Manual, August, 2014 and from the SAHP)



  1. Disclosure

    1. Faculty authorized to engage in regular financial transaction

      Faculty authorized to sign for expenditures, acting as principals on grants, or involved in making purchases on behalf of the College are required to complete a “Faculty Conflict of Interest Disclosure Form.” The forms are kept in the Purchasing Office. These individuals are under an obligation to update information on this form annually.

    2. All other Faculty

      All other Faculty members shall disclose to the College in advance and in a timely fashion potential and actual conflicts of interest on the Faculty Conflict of Interest Form.

    3. Uncertainty regarding a potential conflict of interest

      Any Faculty member who is uncertain whether a conflict of interest may exist in any matter will discuss said matter with his or her Chair. The Faculty member’s Chair will consult with the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs regarding the need for the Faculty member to further disclose said matter on the disclosure form.

  2. Resolution

    The Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, in consultation with the Faculty Affairs Committee of the Faculty Assembly and the Vice President for Finance and Administration, shall determine if a potential or actual financial conflict of interest exists for a Faculty member (as defined in 2 above). If such a conflict is found to exist, an acceptable management plan or other appropriate means for resolving actual or potential financial conflicts of interest will be developed by the Faculty member in consultation with the Department Chair and Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.

  3. If a Faculty member wishes to appeal the determination of a potential or actual conflict of interest, he or she may do so to the Grievance Committee of the Faculty Assembly.

3.1.2. SAFETY

Accident prevention is the responsibility of each employee of the College. In addition to performing her/his job in a safe manner, the employee is also responsible for reporting any unsafe working conditions.

It is the responsibility of each employee to be familiar with the safe working practices and procedures listed in the Saint Mary's College Fire/Safety Manual. Further, supervisors are responsible for reviewing the practices and procedures in this manual with her/his staff. All employees of the College are responsible for following the established guidelines in this manual on fire evacuation, tornado and other natural disasters, bomb threats and explosions, power equipment safety, snow emergencies and disposal of toxic materials and/or waste.

All employees who may be exposed to hazardous materials in their work area will receive annual Hazard Communication training. This training will include a review of the written program, an explanation of labeling and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), a review of the health and physical hazards present, how to detect the presence or release of hazardous chemicals, and how to dispose of chemical waste.

All employees should be instructed to immediately report any accident or injury to her/his supervisor and the Safety and Security Department. In addition, reports of accidents and/or injuries must be completed by both the employee and her/his immediate supervisor and forwarded to the Human Resources Department as soon as possible. Completion of this report will necessitate an investigation of the accident by the supervisor. Upon receipt of the report, the Human Resources Department will forward a copy to the Safety and Security Department for review by the Fire and Safety Committee. Continuing treatment for all work-related injuries must be authorized by the Human Resources Department.

Any unsafe working condition must be reported to the supervisor and the Maintenance Department. Emergency situations such as a fire or gas leak should be reported immediately to the Security office (telephone #5000).


Saint Mary's College strives to provide a healthful, safe working environment for all employees. As part of this goal and in conjunction with federal law, the College has adopted the following policy regarding a Drug-Free Workplace. This policy, required by the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, regards the work-related effects of drug use and the unlawful possession of controlled substances.

Employees are expected and required to report to work on time and in appropriate mental and physical condition for work. It is our intent and obligation to provide a drug free, healthful, safe and secure work environment.

The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use of a controlled substance on campus or while conducting College business off campus is absolutely prohibited. Violations of this policy will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination, and may have legal consequences.

The College recognizes drug dependency as an illness and a major health problem. The College also recognizes drug abuse as a potential health, safety and security problem. Employees needing help with such problems are encouraged to use the College Assistance Plan through the Madison Center and/or our health plan, as appropriate.

Employees must, as a condition of employment, abide by the terms of the above policy and report any conviction under a criminal drug statute for violations occurring on or off campus while conducting College business. A report of a conviction must be made within five (5) days after the conviction. The College, in turn, will notify any and all federal agencies from which the College has received federal grants within ten (10) days of receiving actual notice of such conviction.

Within thirty (30) days, the College will take one of the following actions: 1) appropriate disciplinary action against such employee, up to and including termination, or 2) require such employee to participate satisfactorily in a drug abuse assistance or rehabilitation program approved for such purposes by a Federal, State or local health, law enforcement or other appropriate agency.

It is the College's intention to make a good faith effort to continue to maintain a drug free workplace through the implementation of this policy.


In order to provide all community members with a healthy and safe environment within which to study, work and live, the College instituted a smoking policy in August 2000. All buildings on campus are smoke-free. Smoking is permitted only in outdoor areas of the campus and smokers are asked to respect the rights of others to avoid second-hand exposure to smoke by refraining from smoking in or near doorways, and disposing of their smoking materials in the outdoor containers provided. Smoking is also not permitted in any college-owned vehicle. It is the responsibility of all community members to adhere to the College’s smoking policy and to encourage other community members to do the same. It is also the responsibility of individual community members to inform their guest of the College’s smoking policy and encourage their adherence to this policy. Failure to abide by the policy will result in disciplinary action.

3.2. Informational Items (from Governance Manual Section IV)


To obtain travel funds, the faculty member completes the “Travel Request Form” available from the department chair or from the Dean of Faculty at least two weeks prior to departure. If a faculty member is participating in the program, a copy of the program or other evidence of participation must accompany the request. The form is submitted to the department chair who approves full or half expenses and certifies that this is the faculty member’s trip in a given year. The chair sends the form to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs reviews the request and, if approved, forwards the form to the Business Office which will issue a cash advance of up to $200. The faculty member may opt not to receive an advance payment.

At the conclusion of a trip, faculty members resubmit to the Business Office the “Travel Request Form” with receipts and an accounting of all expenses. Faculty members receiving prepayment of travel expenses must reimburse the College if expenses were less than estimated. TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT POLICY Advance Approval

All College related travel requires an Employee Travel Expense Report form indicating advance approval by the appropriate department supervisor prior to the travel date. Any exceptions to this rule need prior written approval of the division Vice President, the President, or the Vice President for Finance and Administration. Transportation

Travelers are encouraged to compare all of the costs associated with each mode of transportation and select the one that is the most cost effective. While traveling on College Business in any vehicle, the driver and passengers must comply with all applicable laws, including the wearing of seat belts. Travelers should also avoid the use of cell phones while driving.

Authorized – College drivers are defined as those persons, at least 18 years of age, including all College authorized officers, members of the Board of Trustees, faculty, staff, students, or volunteers from the using department. Drivers using leased vehicles must be at least 21 years of age; drivers using vans and buses must be at least 25 years of age.

Drivers of College vehicles are required to have a current, valid Indiana or other State driver’s license, with no suspensions. Drivers of buses must have a commercial driver’s license (CDL). A photocopy of the valid driver’s license is retained by the Purchasing Department. Driving records of all drivers of College use vehicles are subject to verification by the College through State Departments of Motor Vehicles.

College gas credit cards should be used for fuel whenever possible because the College is exempt from the gasoline tax, and the gas companies affiliated with the College automatically deduct the gasoline tax from the monthly invoice. Also, the number of gallons purchased must be recorded on the charge slip for the College to be exempt from the gasoline tax. College procurement cards should only be used for gasoline when a gas company for which the College has a credit card is not available.

  1. College Vehicles – Individuals traveling for the College may consider the use of certain College owned, Department controlled, vehicles for College business, when appropriate and when available. Admission has a small automobile, and Athletics has one van limited to 10 passengers and one minibus limited to 14 passengers. These vehicles may be made available when not in use by the controlling departments. There is no charge for such use other than the cost of gasoline used. The vehicles must be returned with replacement gasoline and with clean interiors free of debris. Use of College vehicles is restricted to neighboring Midwestern states.
  2. Rented Vehicles – Travelers may be reimbursed for a rented vehicle and for gasoline purchases while on official College business. College guidelines do not provide for reimbursement for luxury vehicles. The College has contracted with Enterprise for the rental of automobiles and vans. The College has a business account with Enterprise and receives discounts on all rentals. The Purchasing Department should be contacted to arrange for the rental vehicle. Rentals obtained through the Purchasing Department should be noted as “College Vehicle” on the Travel Expense Report. Travelers using commercial transportation (i.e., air, train, or bus) may be reimbursed for a rented vehicle and for gasoline purchases while on official College business in conjunction with the commercial transportation. Prior approval of your division Vice President, the President, or the Vice President for Finance and Administration is required.
  3. Personal Vehicles – Personal vehicles may be used if College vehicles are not available for a particular trip or with prior written approval of your divisional Vice President. A traveler who uses a personal vehicle will be reimbursed at 80% of the authorized current federal rate, which will be updated annually, for the actual driving distance.
  4. Airfare – Travelers may be reimbursed for the lowest, non-stop coach class airfare and are encouraged to take advantage of advance reservations discounts. Travelers are also encouraged to consider discounts for extending the trip to include a Saturday night stay. The cost of additional meals and lodging resulting from the extended stay, however, must be weighed against the savings realized from the discounted airfare. The traveler should include a statement regarding the cost comparison and potential for savings by extending the trip. Airline tickets may be prepaid through the department, if the arrangements are made through the on-campus travel office.
  5. Ground Transportation to/from Airports – A traveler using a personal vehicle may be reimbursed for the mileage to/from the air terminal, but the reimbursement may not exceed the mileage using the workplace as the point of departure/return. Airport parking charges are a reimbursable expense. If the traveler is not able to leave his/her vehicle at the airport, mileage for two round-trips will be reimbursed for the traveler’s drop-off and pick-up, along with reasonable short-term parking charges.
  6. Other Transportation Expenses – For travel between business locations, travelers are encouraged to choose the most cost effective means of ground transportation available and will be reimbursed for shuttles, taxis, local mass transit, and reasonable charges for limousine services based on comparable modes of transportation. Other reimbursable transportation expenses include parking, bridge, highway, and tunnel tolls. Travel Meals
  1. Reimbursable Meals – Meals incurred while traveling on College business will be reimbursed to the traveler on a per diem basis only when overnight travel takes place at a rate based on the Federal Standard Meal Allowance. Contact the Accounts Payable Department for current rates. Tips and gratuities must be covered with the per diem funds. Meals that are included in a conference fee are not reimbursable.
  2. Non-Reimbursable Meals – When the business travel does not include an overnight stay and a traveler’s meal does not qualify as a “Business Meal” (see below), the meal is defined by the IRS as “personal.” Personal meals do not qualify for reimbursement under these guidelines. Business Meals

Business meals, entertainment, and other business-related expenses that occur during travel will be reimbursed at the actual cost provided that: 1) the expense was incurred as part of the ordinary and necessary College Business; 2) the expenditure was not lavish or extravagant; and 3) there was a substantial business discussion during, directly before, or directly after the meal of event. These meals or events must include at least one non-College employee to be considered business-related. The traveler must include the following documentation: 1) the original itemized receipt; 2) names and affiliations of attendees; and 3) the business purpose of the meeting meal or event. If a business meal is claimed, then the traveler will not be reimbursed the per diem for that particular meal. Lodging

Travelers will be reimbursed at the actual reasonable single room rate; including applicable taxes, for College business that is conducted more than 50 miles from campus. The appropriate supervisor determines reasonableness of the lodging rates. If the traveler is attending a conference, it is appropriate to stay at the hotel that is hosting the conference. If the hotel requires prior financial commitment ( e.g. , prepayment for one night or credit card guarantee), the traveler is responsible for notifying the hotel of a cancellation and will not be reimbursed for the penalty, if he/she fails to make the cancellation notification. The traveler’s supervisor may approve an exception if the failure to notify the hotel of the cancellation is due to extenuating circumstances beyond the traveler’s control. Other Reimbursable Expenses

Travelers may also be reimbursed for actual reasonable telephone, fax, copying, computer connection, and other business costs. Registration fees necessary to attend a conference or meeting are also reimbursable. The College will reimburse the cost of one personal call home for each night away from home on College travel. The length of personal calls should be reasonable. Non-reimbursable Items

Personal expenses will not be reimbursed by the College and should not be reported on the Travel Expense Report. Non reimbursable items include (but are not limited to):

  1. Alcoholic beverages
  2. Personal entertainment expenses ( e.g. , airline headsets, movies, tours, sporting events)
  3. Traffic fines, parking tickets and court costs
  4. Lost and overweight baggage
  5. Personal auto repairs, personal credit cards and annual fees, personal telephone charges
  6. Insurance for rental vehicles
  7. Medical expenses
  8. Additional life insurance
  9. Meals associated with trips that have no overnight stay. Prepayments and Cash Advances

Travel advances should be requested using the Employee Travel Expense Report form at least two (2) weeks prior to the date when an advance is needed. The maximum amount of an advance will be $200 per trip. The advance check is written the Thursday closest to the date of departure. Purchase Orders, College credit cards, check requests, or personal credit cards should be used to reserve hotel rooms and to pay for registration fees. Some states waive the state tax on the room charge for non-for-profit organizations. A separate tax exempt form pertaining to the College may be needed and can be obtained from the Business Office. Reimbursement for use of a personal car will be made after the trip when the actual expense report is completed and should not be requested as part of an advance. Reporting and Documentation of Expenses

The traveler may request reimbursement for travel-related expenses by completing the Employee Travel Expense Report. The Employee Travel Expense Report should be forwarded to the signature authority for the account being charged or the traveler’s supervisor for their review, approval, and signature. The approved Employee Travel Expense Report should be submitted to the Accounts Payable Office with ten (10) business days of the completion date of the trip.

The following documentation is required to substantiate expenses for reimbursement:

  1. Air/Rail/Bus – Original passenger receipt or e-ticket printout
  2. Lodging – Original itemized hotel bill (including telephone calls) providing proof of payment
  3. Car Rental – Original rental agreement providing proof of payment
  4. Business Meals/Entertainment – Original receipt plus names of the individuals present, business affiliations, business purpose of the meal meeting, and the date/place of the meeting
  5. Travel Meals (per diem) - No receipts required
  6. Conference/Registration fee (if not prepaid) – Original receipt showing proof of payment
  7. Travel Expenses (other than the above) – Exceeding $25 per expenditure require receipts Claims for reimbursement of expenses not covered by these guidelines or exceptions will be returned to the traveler. Upon written recommendation of the traveler’s division Vice President and appropriate justification, the President (or his/her designee) has the sole authority to approve reimbursement not covered by or exceptions to this policy. College Issued Cell Phones

A College issued cell phone is to be used for College Business only. Employees have an obligation to use College issued cell phones in a responsible, informed, and safe manner and observe all applicable laws or regulations. Employees using College issued cell phones are responsible for securing them. Losses shall be reported immediately to the Director of Purchasing. Employees may be held liable for lost, stolen, or damaged College issued cell phone equipment. Using a College issued cell phone while operating a motor vehicle is prohibited. Employees should move their vehicle from the travel portion of the roadway when using their cell phone. VEHICLE USAGE POLICY AND PROCEDURES

A College vehicle is any vehicle owned or leased by the College and used to transport authorized people and/or cargo. College vehicles shall be used only for “official College Business.” “Official College Business” is defined as “the performance of, or necessary to, or in the course of, the duties of College employment or business.” College vehicles are not for personal use .

The Vice President for Finance and Administration reserves the right to determine whether the proposed activity constitutes the priority indicated, and that such travel constitutes “Official College Business.” AUTHORIZED DRIVERS

College drivers are defined as those persons, at least 18 years of age, including all College authorized officers, members of the Board of Trustees, faculty, staff, students, or volunteers from the using department. Drivers using leased vehicles must be at least 21 years of age; drivers using vans and buses must be at least 25 years of age.

Drivers of College vehicles are required to have a current, valid Indiana or other State driver’s license, with no suspensions. If required by law, drivers of buses must have a commercial driver’s license (CDL). A photocopy of the valid driver’s license is retained by the Purchasing Department. Driving records of all drivers of College use vehicles are subject to verification by the College through State Departments of Motor Vehicles. OPERATION OF COLLEGE VEHICLES

All drivers who operate College owned or leased vehicles must comply with all policies, procedures, rules, and instructions covering the use of College owned or leased vehicles. The driver must obey all traffic laws at all times. Failure to obey the Law of the Land may disqualify a driver from future use. Any traffic citations or fines are the responsibility of the driver involved.

All College Vehicles are non-smoking vehicles with no exceptions.

Cell Phone may not be used while driving except with hands-free accessories.

It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure the use of seat belts by all vehicle occupants.

Drivers of College vehicles are personally responsible for vehicles operated by them. Should damage result through misuse or gross negligence, the operator may be required to make restitution to the College. PASSENGERS

Passengers are limited to those persons who are properly authorized to participate in College functions with a driver traveling on official business. “Properly authorized” includes driver’s spouse, students, or guests of the College whose presence as a passenger is directly related to the driver’s official business. This section of the policy also applies to other College vehicles such as golf carts and mules. PROCEDURES FOR REQUESTING A VEHICLE

College Owned Vehicles. Departments may consider the use of certain College owned, Department controlled, vehicles for College business, when appropriate and when available. Admission has a small automobile, and Athletics has one minibus limited to 14 passengers. These vehicles may be made available when not in use by the controlling departments. There is no charge for such use other than the cost of gasoline used. The vehicles must be returned with replacement gasoline used and with clean interiors free of debris.

Leased Vehicles The College has contracted with Enterprise for the rental of automobiles and vans. The College has a business account with Enterprise and receives discounts on all rentals.

Frequent Vehicle User Departments, e.g. , Athletics, Admissions, and Development, that frequently use rental vehicles may work directly with Enterprise in securing vehicles to meet their departmental needs.

Infrequent Vehicle User Departments should use the following procedure to request an automotive rental through the College’s Purchasing Office:

  1. The driver must submit an On-line Requisition form five (5) full working days prior to the desired departure date to the Purchasing Department.
  2. Please be advised that Purchasing will not receive your requisition until it is approved by the budget manager.
  3. All vehicle requisitions must include the following information: Driver’s name, number of passengers, date and time of departure, date and time of return, contact information (e-mail, office and cell phone number), list of any special needs.
  4. Note: By approving a rental requisition, the budget manager asserts or affirms that the driver has a valid driver’s license and that the driver is a minimum of 21 years of age.

Infrequent Vehicle User Departments should use the following procedure to request a large van or bus rental through the College’s Purchasing Office.

  1. All large vans/buses must be requested by submitting the On-line Requisition form, referenced above, two (2) we eks prior to the event.
  2. The Requisition should include the driver’s name, number of passengers, date and time of departure, date and time of return, contact information (e-mail, office and cell phone number), and list any special needs.
  3. If a van/bus is requested and then cancelled less than 72 hours prior to the engagement, the department will incur all expenses related to the event.
  4. For insurance and liability reasons, the large capacity vans will be restricted to no more than ten (10) passengers.
  5. Students will not be authorized to drive the large capacity vans or buses, and the driver must be at least twenty-five years of age. PROCEDURE TO PICK UP AND RETURN A LEASED VEHICLE Location

Keys and the rental agreement will be picked up from and returned to Security at the Security Building. College vehicles may not be taken to a person’s residence for a next day departure or late return unless prior written approval has been obtained from their Department Head/Chair and provided to the Purchasing Department.

The vehicles are parked in the Senior Parking Lot on the corner of Madeleva Drive and McCandless. Vehicles may be picked up from the Senior Lot and should be parked in this lot upon return.

During normal working hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, gas credit cards may be picked up and returned to the Purchasing Department at the Facilities Building. Driver Inspection

The driver of the vehicle should inspect the vehicle before driving it. The vehicle should be checked visually to assure that the tires are in good condition, the side-view mirror is usable, and that it has a gas cap, a spare tire, and a jack. The brakes, lights, and other controls should be tested for proper working conditions. Care of the Vehicle

The vehicle must be returned in the same condition it was received. Drivers should ensure that the vehicle is clean and that all trash and debris are disposed of prior to returning the vehicle to its assigned parking lot. A cleaning fee may be assessed. Credit Card and Gasoline

Gas Credit Cards will be distributed to the person/driver to purchase petroleum products. Whenever possible, the gas credit cards should be used in lieu of a College P-Card in order to avoid the payment of taxes on fuel. Credit Cards and gas receipts must be returned to Security or the Purchasing Department after the vehicle is returned to the Senior Parking Lot. College gas credit cards may not be used for personal use.

The vehicle must be returned with a full tank of gas. If the gas tank is not full, the department will be charged for the gas plus a refueling fee. Rental Agreement

A Rental Agreement will be issued with each vehicle when it is picked up. Upon return, the Rental Agreement must be returned to Security or the Purchasing Department along with the keys and credit cards. LIABILITY INSURANCE

Liability insurance is provided for authorized College drivers to operate College vehicles on official College business.

The College reserves the right to recover from a driver the amount expended to provide the defense and/or pay a settlement or final judgment, if it is shown while performing official business for the College, the driver acted fraudulently or with intentional malice causing bodily injury, wrongful death, or property damage.

The College is not responsible for any items left in unattended vehicles. REPORTING VEHICLE ACCIDENTS

For the purpose of safety and loss risk analyses, all accident involving College use vehicles must be reported immediately to the nearest police department, the College’s Insurance Company, and the College’s Business Office. All accidents are to be reported within 24 hours, even if another vehicle is not involved or there are no apparent injuries or property damages. Helpful instructions for reporting accidents are provided on the back of the rental agreement. DEPARTMENT RESPONSIBILITIES

A department which has permanently assigned vehicles is responsible for scheduling and maintaining its assigned vehicles. The department is responsible for enforcing all rules, policies, and guidelines relating to the vehicles as stated herein. Failure to do so may result in the suspension of vehicle privileges. MISUSE OF COLLEGE VEHICLES

Misuse of any College vehicle may result in disciplinary action. The following is a list of guidelines constituting misuse:

  1. Driving without Authorization
  2. Driving without a valid Driver’s License.
  3. Allowing an unauthorized person to drive a College vehicle.
  4. Driving recklessly, not obeying traffic laws.
  5. Falsification of vehicle forms.
  6. Failure to comply with the Vehicle Usage Policy. USE OF PERSONAL VEHICLES FOR OFFICIAL COLLEGE BUSINESS

Each Vice President has the responsibility for authorizing persons to drive privately owned vehicles to conduct official College business. Important: If a personal vehicle is used for College business, the vehicle owner’s insurance is primary in the event of an insurance claim. Mileage for use of personal vehicles will be reimbursed at 80% of the authorized current federal rate, which will be updated annually, for the actual driving distance.


Questions regarding policy guidelines on the use of College vehicles on College business should be directed to the Purchasing Department. TRAVEL BUDGET

The Travel Budget is maintained by the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. In preparing the budget, each department chair, each year, consults with department members to anticipate expenses for the next academic year and submits an estimate of need based upon faculty plans for the year. Since travel expenses vary so widely from year to year, depending upon the locations of meetings, the department is expected to provide the administration only with an estimate of the expenses. TRAVEL POLICY: SUPPLEMENTARY

In addition to funds for travel to professional conferences, there are some additional funds available for other types of faculty travel. The arrangements for traveling and the rules for spending money are the same as for professional travel, except that the “Travel Request Form” is submitted to the administrative officer from whose budget the travel is paid. INSTRUCTION-RELATED TRAVEL

Faculty members may also take students on trips which are part of courses or which are of educational benefit to the students. The College may subsidize the faculty member’s expenses in these cases. The College may also subsidize the expense of faculty members when College courses must be taught off-campus ( e.g. , in hospitals) or when field work must be supervised ( e.g. , practice teaching). Such expenses are included in a department’s budget. FACULTY RECRUITMENT

Faculty may also travel to recruit new faculty, to represent the College at meetings of educational organizations, to speak to chapters of the Alumnae Association, or to aid the College’s development effort. The expense of such travel is covered through the budget of the administrative office involved: in the first two cases by the Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, in the third through the Alumnae Office, in the last by the Development Office.


The College strives to provide each full-time faculty member with a private office Part-time faculty members often share offices with each other. Each office is equipped with a desk, telephone, chair, and filing cabinet. Additional equipment such as typewriters, desks lamps, bulletin boards, blackboards, and bookcases are sometimes available. Faculty members consult department chair to obtain the furniture and equipment they need.


Ordinarily, several departments share the services of one staff or administrative assistant. The departments which share a staff or administrative assistants work out a fair allocation of the secretary’s time and a priority of the jobs to be done. Staff or administrative assistants are generally responsible for typing departmental reports, class syllabi and examinations, class materials, letters of recommendation and professional letters, reports and material for College committees on which faculty serve, and manuscripts of professional work. Staff or administrative assistants should not be asked to do personal work on College time ( e.g., typing the final copy of a dissertation).


Each department maintains its own stock of supplies for academic and professional purposes. Provision for supplies is made through the department budget which is prepared by the department chair after consultation with the department members to anticipate expenses for the coming year. Budget expenditures are supervised by the department chair to ensure that the department stays within its overall budget and that each faculty member of the department has fair access to available supplies and services.

The department budget for supplies and services is governed by the budget definitions and categories delineated in Chart 1.


(check with Business Office on other budget categories)

Advertising 70620 Includes all costs of advertising in various publications and other media.
Duplicating & Xeroxing 70410 This account is charged with all printing done at the Document Center.
Equipment & Repairs 71140 Includes all costs of repairs and maintenance by other than institutional personnel. Included in this account are equipment maintenance agreements and repairs made on equipment by outside service people and not covered by maintenance agreements.
Food Services 70020 All expenses related to food for various departmental activities are charged to this account.
Lecturers 71310 Charges to this account include stipends and travel costs of outsiders coming to campus to give lectures.
Memberships and Dues 70700 Includes any charges for department memberships or dues to accrediting organizations.
Non-Capital Equipment 72000 All equipment purchases less than $5,000 should be charged here. This will include items which have a life of longer than one year, but are not considered a supply. Such items might include office furniture, office equipment, or lab equipment.
Non-Capital Computer Equipment 72060 All computer equipment less than $5,000 should be charged here. This will include items which have a life longer than one year, but are not considered supplies such as printers, scanners, or other such items.
Printing 70420 Includes the purchase of contracted printing or photocopying from outside sources. This does not include the purchase of supplies such as paper and photocopy supplies or the purchase of printed forms. These items should be charged to one of the supplies accounts (71800,71810,71820).
Postage 72500 Covers postage, freight, and express delivery charges and any other cost of transporting articles.
Professional Conferences 70200 This account should be charged with expenses relating to travel and to and from conference (hotel bills, taxi fare, and any other charges that would be related to expenses of travel.
Purchased Services 71090 Covers services not included in Lecturers, Contracted Repairs, etc.
Subscriptions 73210 All publications purchased for the use of the department should be charged.
Supplementary Travel 70210 Expenses appropriately charged to this account are detailed in the section titled Travel Policy: Supplementary.
Supplies Audio-Visual 71830 Films, DVD’s, and other audio-visual materials are charged to this account.
Supplies- Instructional 71820 All classroom supplies should be charged here.
Supplies- Office 71800 All supplies used for department or faculty offices are charged to this account.


All faculty members are assigned a mailbox in the buildings in which their offices are located. Mail is distributed twice per day, Monday through Friday. Professional mail requiring postage is charged to department budgets. To facilitate this, all unstamped mail should have a department designation. Intercampus mail service to Notre Dame is provided at no charge.


Because facilities for printing vary by department and building and because the policies respecting their use vary by budget and department and are subject to change, faculty members should consult their department chair about the use of those facilities.



Faculty are covered by the College’s Liability Policy for errors or omissions, bodily injury, personal injury, or property damage for which they are held to be legally liable as a result of performance of their duties as officers of instruction. This coverage includes all teaching related activities as well as activities undertaken as a member of the Board of Trustees, of the College, Faculty Assembly, College councils, or College committees.

In cases involving legal action, an attorney selected by the insurance company will represent the interests of the faculty member. The College is not responsible for legal action that may accrue from other professional activity; e.g. , suits for plagiarism or harm caused in the course of personal research.


Faculty may arrange for the use of various campus facilities. All facilities including the conference rooms in Le Mans are scheduled through the Office of Special Events with the exception of the following:



All special requests for room reservations are to be process through the Office of Special Events unless otherwise noted below.

Angela Athletic Facility Academic Year – Director of Athletics
Chapels/reflection rooms Campus Ministry
Classrooms, including Carroll Auditorium when classes are in session ( see also: Tech Classrooms) Registrar
Classrooms, including Carroll Auditorium, when classes are not in session Office of Campus and Community Events
Food Service (Catering) Sodexo Food Service
Le Mans 137 Secretary to the President
Le Mans 201 Alumnae Office
Moreau Art Galleries Art Gallery Director/Office of Campus and Community Events
President’s Dining Room Secretary to the President
Riedinger House Alumnae Office
Technology classrooms (single use – any time) Office of Campus and Community Events
Welcome Center Admission Office


Faculty members are granted extended borrowing privileges at the Cushwa-Leighton Library. Books and other library materials checked out by a faculty member must be returned or renewed annually at the time determined by the collection manager and at other times at her request. Such a request is made when someone else wishes to borrow the item, or when materials are required for inventory or other library purposes. A full description of current faculty privileges and library regulations is published in the library handbook, available from the Reference Department.

Notre Dame faculty may use the library collection with the use of their faculty identification card. Scholars officially visiting the College enjoy the same privileges as regular faculty; an application for use of the library should be made to the library director.

There are twelve study carrels in the Library for assignment to faculty members engaged in research and writing. Assignments are made for one term at a time. A written application must be submitted to the Library Committee; applications for summer and fall sessions are due April 15, and for the spring session by December 1. The Library Committee will consider each application, and the faculty member will be notified two to three weeks before the first day of the requested period whether or not a carrel has been assigned. Application blanks and a complete policy statement are available in the Office of the Director of the Library.

The seminar room, group study room, and other special rooms in the Library are reserved for Library-related activities. These rooms may be reserved for such use by applying to the Director.

Regularly scheduled classes are not to be held in the Library.

Saint Mary's College faculty members also enjoy faculty privileges at the University of Notre Dame libraries. Detailed information about using the collections at the Hesburgh Library can be obtained at the circulation desk.

Faculty at Saint Mary's College enjoy regular borrowing privileges at the Bethel College Library, the library at Indiana University South Bend, and at Holy Cross College. The use of local public libraries is based on residency. For more detailed information the local library of an individual faculty member should be contacted.

Contact the Library for hours of operation.


Persons entering Angela Athletic Facility will be required to present a valid Saint Mary's College Community card or Family Pass at the reservation desk, sign the registration log, and register any guests. Cards will be retained and returned when participant signs out and leaves the building. (Saint Mary's College faculty members and administrative staff must show ID cards, but will not be required to leave their card at the desk.) BUILDING HOURS ACADEMIC YEAR
6:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday
6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Saturday*
10:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. Sunday

Holiday and vacation hours are posted. No one is permitted in the building prior to posted hours.

∗NOTE: Angela Athletic Facility is closed on Notre Dame home Football game days. BREAK PERIODS

Angela Athletic Facility will be closed on school holidays and during break periods when the facility is not staffed. No one is permitted in the building during this time. SUMMER

During the summer season, Angela Athletic Facility is controlled by the Office of Special Events and hours will be posted by them. All policies and privileges are still in effect. PRIVILEGES STUDENTS, FACULTY, ADMINISTRATORS, AND STAFF MEMBERS

    All reservations during the academic year need to be cleared by the facilities director in Athletics and then the Office of Special Events. During the summer, all reservations should go through the Office of Special Events.


    Students, administrators, faculty, and staff members of Saint Mary's College may bring a maximum of three guests into the facility. Guests must be accompanied by their host and must be participating in the same single-court activity. SAINT MARY’S COLLEGE ALUMNAE
  1. SAINT MARY’S COLLEGE ALUMNAE have walk-in privileges which allow them to claim any open, unreserved, or forfeited court time.


    Saint Mary's College alumnae may bring one guest into Angela Athletic Facility. This guest must be accompanied by the hostess, and must be participating in the same singe-court activity. UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME STUDENTS

    University Of Notre Dame students may use Angela Athletic Facility when accompanied by a Saint Mary's College community member. These guests must be participating in the same single-court activity as their Saint Mary's host or hostess. The participation ratio of Notre Dame students to Saint Mary’s students in any one activity must be approximately equal. UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME STAFF MEMBERS

    University Of Notre Dame staff members may use Angela Athletic Facility as a guest of a Saint Mary's College community member. These guests must be accompanied by their host, and must be participating in the same single-court activity as their host. FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES OF SODEXO, HOLY CROSS CONVENT, AND HOLY CROSS SERVICES CORP

    Full-time employees Of Sodexo, Holy Cross Convent, and Holy Cross Services Corp, as a courtesy of the College, have walk-in privileges which allow them to claim any open, unreserved, or forfeited court time. This courtesy is extended to full-time employees and ONE guest. Employees of Sodexo, Holy Cross Convent, and Holy Cross Services Corp. must present their appropriate Saint Mary’s community ID at the reservation desk. GUESTS

    Guests using the facility will sign in at the front desk. This sign-in sheet provides the following information for the guest:

    I understand and agree that Saint Mary's College is not responsible and cannot be held liable for any accident or injury that may occur from participation in any activity in the Angela Athletic Facility.

    No guest may be in the building without registering at the desk on the sign-in sheet. LOCKERS

    Lockers for Saint Mary’s students are located on the playing floor of Angela Athletic Facility. Permanent lockers are issued to varsity and club members during their season. All other lockers are to be used on a daily basis; no locks should be left on overnight. Men using the facility may use the upstairs locker room.

    The upstairs women’s locker room is for Saint Mary’s College administrators, faculty, and staff only. Because of the high use of the facility and limited number of lockers in the male and female staff locker rooms, we are unable to issue these lockers on a permanent basis. However, female staff members may request a permanent locker in the student locker room.



    College policy does not allow faculty members to bring pets on campus.

    3.2.13. BANKING

    Both 1st Source Bank and the Notre Dame Credit Union have ATM’s on campus. A branch of 1st Source Bank is located in the Student Center. Call a representative of either facility for account information and benefit of participation.


    The Saint Mary's College Shaheen Bookstore maintains school supplies, office, art and drawing supplies, cosmetics, magazines, cards, and textbooks. Faculty members are entitled to a 20% discount on most items. Textbooks are not discounted. In order to receive a discount, family members must be accompanied by the faculty member.

    The Saint Mary’s College Convenience Store stocks cold pop, munchies, candy and ice cream, and many other convenience items. Munch money is accepted in the convenience store but merchandise is not discounted. Hours are posted in the Student Center entryway and at the stores.

    The Notre Dame Bookstore is also available to faculty members with Saint Mary’s identification cards entitling them to a 20% discount on most items.


    Many of the College’s residential buildings also include teaching or administrative space. To enhance the safety afforded students in the residential areas, the College has invested in an automated Card Access Security System. In general, access to certain areas of a building and access via the tunnel system between buildings is controlled by the Card Access Security System.

    All students are issued an Access Card with their student ID card. In addition, all full-time College employees (administrators, faculty, and staff) who have a job-related need to gain access frequently to the restricted areas may request an Access Card. An Access Card can be requested via the “Access System Request Form” from the Security Department after first getting approval of one’s department head. A fee is charged for lost Access Cards. Employees are cautioned to control responsibly for their Access Card to ensure that residence halls remain safe.


    Faculty members are strongly encouraged to report to the Human Resources Office changes in the information originally reported in their vitae. Changes of address, telephone number, marital status, or additional education should be reported.


    Saint Mary’s College - Liturgies on Saint Mary’s College campus are offered in several locations throughout the academic year.

    • Regina Hall Chapel is located in the center wing of Regina Hall. The chapel accommodates approximately 250.
    • Holy Cross Hall is located on the first floor of Holy Cross Hall and accommodates approximately 250.
    • Le Mans Hall Chapel is located in the center of the third floor. The three-story chapel accommodates 300 people.
    • The Church of Loretto is located on the southwest corner of the campus. It belongs to the Sisters of the Holy Cross. This church accommodates approximately 550.

    Liturgy schedules are published each semester by the Campus Ministry Office and distributed to all departments. Specific scheduling questions should be directed to Campus Ministry.

    University of Notre Dame

    • Sacred Heart Basilica is the main church for the celebration of liturgy at the University of Notre Dame. Its capacity is about 1200. For information regarding the schedule of masses, please contact either Notre Dame or Saint Mary’s Campus Ministry offices.

    3.2.17. CHECK CASHING

    Faculty members with proper identification may cash personal checks at the Business Office cashier’s window. This service is available at times posted at the beginning of each semester.


    Because of potential safety hazards and the possible disruption of work, the children of faculty members must be supervised while on campus.


    The Observer which is published daily by the student community of Saint Mary’s College and the University of Notre Dame is available on campus. Faculty members also receive the Courier , the alumna quarterly and Chimes , an on-line publication of student and faculty members’ literary work.


    The Saint Mary’s College Assistance Plan is a confidential, professional service, designed to help College faculty and staff in times of personal crisis. The program assists the identification and treatment of problems, whether emotional, financial, legal, alcohol, drug, or family related. Once the problem has been identified, the person is referred to an appropriate program. The College Assistance Plan is available to all full-time College faculty, staff, and their families.

    For further information on this program, call the Human Resources Office.


    A list of concerts, lectures, plays and other events which occur throughout the year is available on the SMC Web site. Saint Mary’s College sponsors an annual Performing Arts Series. Discounted tickets are available to the Saint Mary’s Community. Tickets and detailed information relevant to these events can be obtained through the Box Office located in O’Laughlin Auditorium.


    Faculty members are eligible to use the facilities of the Dining Hall and the Cyber-café in the Student Center. Contact the Dining Hall for the hours of operation and special discount opportunities available to employees.


    Children of the Saint Mary's College community, including faculty and staff members are eligible for enrollment in the Early Childhood Development Center (ECDC) on the campus of Saint Mary's College. During the academic year, children between the ages of three, four, and five years old are eligible to enroll in the ECDC program. The Center operates five days a week from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. A hot lunch is provided. A wide variety of part-time schedules are also available; tuition is determined by the schedule chosen. ECDC provides practicum experiences for college students majoring in education, nursing, and psychology. All members of the teaching staff have undergraduate degrees and some have advanced schooling in the field. The Center also offers an eight-week summer day camp program for children between the ages of 3 and 9 years. Registration for the summer and fall is held in the spring of each year. More information can be obtained at the ECDC website at

    The Early Childhood Development Center also offers programs at a facility on the campus of the University of Notre Dame. Please contact ECDC for further information.


    Access to Health and Wellness Services is limited to students.


    Regular full-time and part-time Saint Mary’s College faculty members are issued identification cards. These are useful in obtaining services at the College and are necessary for providing for the security of the work environment. The card should be carried by faculty members whenever they are on College property. All but retiring faculty members must return I.D. cards to the Human Resources Office when a faculty member service with the College ends.

    3.2.26. KEYS

    A faculty member whose job requires keys to College buildings or equipment should keep these keys in a safe place at all times. If keys are lost or found, the department chair should be notified immediately. There is a key replacement fee. To protect the security of College equipment and insure the integrity of the lock system, keys should not be copied or loaned. If a key is lost or found, report it to your supervisor and to the Maintenance and Security Departments. All keys must be returned prior to final clearance from the College. There will be a charge for all lost keys not returned at termination. In the event that the loss of keys requires changing the locks of a building or a section of a building, the cost of the locks and new keys must be reimbursed to the College by the employee.


    Articles lost or found on the campus should be promptly reported to the Security Department.


    The Morrissey Loan Fund advances up to $3,500 to faculty members, staff, or students to meet unexpected or extraordinary needs. Further information on the Fund is available from the Controller in the Business Office.


    Faculty members may park in authorized parking areas after obtaining a Saint Mary’s College parking tag from the Security Department. There is no charge for the tag.


    Faculty member are provided with notary services by the staff of the Business Office. The service is available during business hours, subject to other demands on personnel; there is no charge.

    3.2.31. POST OFFICE

    The campus Post Office is located on the ground level of Holy Cross Hall. It offers the services of stamp and mail order purchases, mail registry, and parcel post services. Check with the Post Office for the hours of operation.


    As a general rule, in the event of the illness or death of a faculty member or staff employee of the College, only one remembrance is to be charged to College budget accounts. This program is administered through the Office of the President. Individuals receiving notification should promptly call the Office of the President where the appropriate arrangements will be made. When reporting, please indicate as much detail about the situation as possible, including hospital location, funeral arrangements, or requests for memorial gifts in lieu of flowers. Departments or offices are not to purchase flowers or memorial gifts from College department or office budget accounts. Individuals or groups may take up a collection for flowers or other gestures for friends and colleagues.

    3.2.33. SUMMER CAMPS

    Saint Mary's offers various summer camp programs for children. For specific details on these programs call the Office of the Director of Athletics and Recreation or the Office of Special Events.

    3.2.34. TRAVEL BUREAU

    A branch office of Anthony Travel is located in the lower level of the Student Center.