MAS / MSSLP Dual Degree
Dual Degree in Master of Autism Studies and a Master of Science in Speech Language Pathology
Earn both a Master of Autism Studies and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Speech Language Pathology in three years. This dual degree program will prepare you to respond to the critical needs for understanding and responding meaningfully to autism and people with autism while shaping you into a strong clinical practitioner who works tirelessly to improve the lives of others. Respond to a critical need through an interdisciplinary education that strives to understand the lives of people with autism as well as the science of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and the various forms of intervention that aspire to help people with autism and those who care for them. We will help ensure your success by giving you experiential learning opportunities to hone your skills through placements in a variety of settings, including schools, healthcare facilities, and early intervention programs. Our dedicated faculty provide you with the personal instruction you need to pursue your interests, develop research opportunities, and work closely with a mentor who understands your goals.
- All applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in communication sciences and disorders, or related field, from a regionally accredited college or university, or the international equivalent. Please review the prerequisites for the stand alone MSSLP. The most competitive candidates typically have maintained at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA in undergraduate coursework.
- Submission of a completed CSDCAS application
- Official transcripts from every college or university attended (via CSDCAS)
- Three letters of recommendation from people familiar with your academic and/or professional abilities, focusing particularly on the potential for your success
- Personal statement that addresses reasons for pursuing the dual degree, professional objectives, and how Saint Mary’s aligns with personal and professional goals. Please review the documents section for further information about the personal statement and to upload your statement
- A brief video interview. You are highly encouraged to complete the interview prior to submitting your application. You may complete your video interview through the Kira Talent interview platform. If you have not completed the interview prior to submitting your application, you will receive an email with instructions regarding how to complete the video interview after you have submitted your application.
The application process is rolling admission
To help students more accurately prepare their graduate school budgets, Saint Mary’s College has established a cohort priced tuition and fees plan that locks tuition and program fees for the duration of the program. Tuition rates will not increase from year to year as long as the student remains enrolled in the program or takes an approved leave of absence. If students leave the program and later return, they will pay the new tuition and program fee rate of the new cohort they are joining.
Cohort Entering Summer 2022
Tuition: $723 per credit hour
Program fees: $268 per credit hour
Total cost per credit hour: $991
Credits required to graduate: 88.5
To apply for financial aid for the 2023-24 academic year, entering Dual Degree students must complete the 2023-24 FAFSA for the summer 2023 term and the 2023-24 FAFSA for the fall, spring and summer terms of the 2023-24 academic year.
Structure of the Courses
When completing the dual degree, students will begin coursework in the Autism Studies program. These courses are offered primarily at night. The second and third years of the program will feature primarily Speech Language Pathology courses which are offered primarily during the day.
If in addition to the Dual Degree program, you would also like to be considered for the Speech Language Pathology and/or Master of Autism Studies program(s), you may complete the application for your top choice program and then indicate for which additional program(s) you would like to be considered. You only need to submit one application for your top choice program. Please note: if the admission committee for those additional program(s) requires supplemental application materials, we will notify you.
The Master of Science (M.S.) education program in speech language pathology at Saint Mary's College is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard, #310, Rockville, MD 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.