Auditions and Scholarships
Music Scholarships Available
Scholarships (renewable annually) are available to incoming Music Majors who demonstrate a talent for and love of music, in addition to exceptional high school grades. For possible Music Education majors, we consider the student's potential for excellence as a music educator.
Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of an interview/audition that must occur before April 1, 2015. Your audition can be scheduled during a time that you are already on campus or at another mutually convenient time.
Components of the interview/audition include:
- Audition: performance on your instrument or voice. Contact Dr. Nancy Menk, Department Chair, for questions about suitable repertoire. An accompanist will be provided.
- Interview: questions about your background, your aspirations, and a short skills exam
- Portfolio: possible entries include a resume, transcripts, concert programs, list of repertoire, performance CD, original compositions (for students interested in composition)
Auditioning for the Music Major
Download our audition form (doc) and return by fax or mail.
Entrance Audition Requirements for all Music Majors
• VOICE: Perform two songs from memory (one in English and one in another language)
• PIANO AND ALL OTHER INSTRUMENTS: Perform two pieces in contrasting styles
• If you wish to play a piece on a secondary instrument, we would be happy to hear that as well.
There are situations, however, when a student has not had the opportunity to study privately on her instrument. We have worked with such students in developing their performing skills throughout the college years, and have found that they often make the best educators. If you are unsure about your skill level or the repertoire you should present for audition, please contact Dr. Nancy Menk. We are glad to guide you in this process.