Tuition, Room and Board Announced for 2014-15

Gwen O’Brien 
Director of Media Relations
Saint Mary’s College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
(574) 284-4579

March 18, 2014 (Notre Dame, Ind.)—The Saint Mary’s College Board of Trustees recently approved a 3.85 percent increase in tuition and fees and room and board for the 2014-15 academic year. Tuition and fees are set at $35,970 and room and board will be $10,930, making the cost to attend Saint Mary’s College $46,900.

“The College has worked hard to manage its costs in order to keep the increase in student charges to a minimum,” Susan Bolt, vice president for finance and administration, said in a letter to parents and guardians of students. “Saint Mary’s is committed to providing (students) with a high quality, affordable education and an experience that nurtures academic, spiritual, and emotional development.”

For some students, it’s more affordable to attend Saint Mary’s College than a public university. Nearly one-third of Saint Mary’s operating budget is devoted to financial aid, in an effort to make the College’s nationally recognized liberal arts education as affordable as possible. About 90 percent of Saint Mary’s students receive some sort of financial aid and 93 percent of our graduates finish in four years. The College is so confident students will complete their degrees in four years, last fall it introduced the Four-Year Graduation Promise. Starting with the Class of 2017, students who follow the promise’s guidelines are guaranteed to finish in four years or the College will pay for any additional courses a student needs to earn her degree. 

Tuition and room and board represent 80 percent of the College’s operating revenue. The remaining 20 percent is supported by gifts from Saint Mary’s generous alumnae and friends and by earnings on the College’s endowment. The endowment will grow with the success of the Faith Always, Action Now campaign, launched publicly in February 2013. In addition to growing the College’s endowment for scholarships, professorships, and academic programs, the $80 million campaign will lead to the renovation of designated campus facilities and increase unrestricted gifts for the College through the Annual Fund. The success of the campaign will provide new programs and enhanced experiences for our students today and in the future.

About Saint Mary’s College: Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame, Ind., is a four-year, Catholic, residential, women’s liberal arts college offering five bachelor’s degrees and more than 30 major areas of study, such as business, nursing, art, chemistry, and social work. The College’s single-gender environment has been proven, in study after study, to foster confidence, ethical leadership, and strong academic success. Saint Mary's College ranks 76 among the 248 “Best National Liberal Arts Colleges” for 2014 published by U.S. News and World Report. Founded in 1844 by the Sisters of the Holy Cross, Saint Mary’s College’s mission is to educate women and prepare them for postgraduate success whether it’s a first job, graduate school, or postgraduate service.