October 5, 2014
Attendance: Carolyn Schafer, President; Kayle Sexton, Secretary; Krista Knapke, Vice President; BB: Sarah Macius, Kelsey Ronan; CC: Kaitlyn Alessi, Colleen Ogren; GO: Janis Heffernan, Courtney Carlson(absent), Lydia Lorenc (sub) ; LAX: Kristen Whalen, Emilie Vanneste; SO: Lindsay Rzepecki(absent-no notice), Kathryn Lueking; SB: Caitlyn Migawa (absent), Maria Roberts, Angela Villagomez (sub); TN: Jackie Kjolhede, Shannon Elliot; VB: Meaghan Gibbons, Angela Bukur; SAAC Advisor: Julie Schroeder-Biek
Accept Minutes of September 21
Motion to approve: Angela Bukur
Seconded: Sarah Macius
Team/Sister Team Updates
Softball: Lost first, won second in 5 innings, third game rained out. Finished with non-traditional season, Pete’s classes and community service.
Basketball: Start in 10 days, completed parking on Saturday, Pete’s and open gym, CC goodie bags
CC: Weekend before Jamboree they got 5th place, Friday they have the Benedictine Invite close to Chicago, parking Saturday
Volleyball- Thank you for coming Friday!!! Saturday won against Olivet, Wed. they play at Albion and then tournament at Elmhurst Friday and Sat. Sister team dinner this week
LAX- Fall play day yesterday went well, 2-2. All the teams played were ranked above SMC. Sister team dinner planned. Hannah and Friends event in November
Soccer- Beat Trine on Saturday, first conference win at home. Play Kzoo Friday. Community service at Hannah and Friends
Tennis- Finish non-traditional season on Tuesday. Last Saturday match 7-2. Sister team brunch on Sunday. Pete’s Classes.
Golf- Came in 4th, 3rd in conference, came in 3rd in tournament yesterday, end of season jamboree Friday or Saturday. Birdie pledge through out the season- goal for everyone to raise $100.
-SGA: questions and concerns give to Emilie for her to bring up at meetings. SABLAB week, any event you attend you get champs points. Attend Lizzy Seeburg Father’s talk in Carroll Aud. 7:30. Tuesday: 7:30 in Carroll Maria will speak.
-Bulletin Board: Athele of the week board- keeping it fun
-Social Media: Twitter page, Post about football parking
-Convent: Fall party with Sisters on November 1st, Caroling soon after.
-MIAA SAAC: Legislation
• NCAA Legislation (Julie)- Handout about all the new rules. Get Pros and Cons to MIAA by Oct. 12
1. Playing and practice seasons—Exempted scrimmage for soccer and volleyball
2. Playing and practice seasons—to decrease traditional segment contest and dates of competitions limits in selected sports by up to 10%
3. Eligibility full-time – Should be able to participate in cooperative educational work experiences during seasons.
4. Playing and practice seasons – Regular season date start on November 15 or the preceding Friday if November 15 falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday
5. To establish a waiver of the exploratory year of the division 3 provisional and reclassifying membership process, as specified.
6. To add Women’s Sand Volleyball as a championship sport in division 3
7. To establish Women’s Sand Volleyball.
8. Recruiting official visit as of January 1st of junior year
9. Recruiting on campus evaluations of prospective student athletes – tryout/workout/evaluate during visit potentially.
10. Executive regulations – institutional eligibility for championships – impacts of an ineligible student athlete nullification.
11. Recruiting contacts and evaluations – to allow coach to talk to sophomore year
12. To permit coaching staff to have contact with day of competition before or after the competition. With permission from High School Coach
13. Allow an institution to do celebratory signing in High School.
• Team Impact Update: Ill child is allowed to be honorary team member on sports team. Checking with the insurance.
• Mascot Statement: Read over handout & email Carolyn by Tuesday with notes about statement.
• Gender Equity Grant: $1,800: Think of ideas for a speaker or event for us to have.
• Social Media Reminder (Kayle)- something that is reoccurring, very important to represent SMC well, be a good influence for those who are under 21.
Upcoming Home Events
October 9- Lizzy Seeburg Father’s Talk 7-9
October 18- Soccer vs. Calvin
October 22- Soccer vs. Hope
October 26- Healthy Body Image Conference
October 28- Soccer vs. Olivet and Volleyball vs. Adrian
October 31- Volleyball vs. Hope (Senior Day!)
November 1 – Soccer vs Adrian (Senior Day!)
**Email Teams by Midnight Tuesday**
Copy your coach, Carolyn, and Julie to email
Next meeting: November 2 @ 7pm