SMC at MIAA Tournament - Day One
After Falling to Brits, Belles Bounce Back Against Scots
HOLLAND, Mich. - The #5 seeded Saint Mary's tennis team opened up the 2010 MIAA Tennis Tournament on Friday. After falling by a 7-2 margin to fourth-seeded Albion to start the day, the Belles finished strong with a 9-0 win over eighth-seeded Alma.
Against Albion, the Belles fell behind 3-0 after the completion of the doubles matches. The Brits took little time in the singles to clinch the win, but Saint Mary's would not go down without a battle. Franca Peluso broke through for the Belles with a 6-3, 6-3 win at #3 singles as she capped off her match with an ace.
After falling in her first set, Mary Therese Lee came back to win her second set by a 6-4 score to force a ten-point tiebreaker at #5 singles, but the junior fell short in her bid to complete the comeback. Camille Gebert had a hard-fought win at #2 singles to push her winning streak against conference opponents to 27 straight. The senior traded blows with her counterpart from Albion, but eventually won three straight points in a tiebreaker to win the match 7-5, 7-6 (8-6).
While two tiebreakers were needed in the Belles' backdraw match against Alma, the outcome was far different in Saint Mary's second match of the day as the Belles were victorious by a 9-0 margin.
Jillian Hurley and Mary Therese Lee started the Belles off with a decisive 8-1 win at #2 doubles. Jessica Kosinski and Cara Rectanus were able to pick up an 8-5 win at #3 doubles. Camille Gebert and Franca Peluso needed one of the two tiebreakers to take a 9-8 (7-1) victory at #1 doubles. Gebert then went on to continue her streak with a 6-2, 6-0 win at #2 singles.
Peluso took little time to win at #3 singles as she only surrendered three games in a 6-2, 6-1 win. Jillian Hurley (6-4, 6-0) and Jessica Kosinski (6-4, 6-4) also earned straight-set victories for the Belles. Kate Grabarek, meanwhile, came back after falling 7-5 in the first set to win the second set 7-5 and later clinch the win 10-5 in the tiebreaker.
The Belles (12-9) will wrap up the tournament when they face #7 seeded Olivet in the fifth-place match tomorrow morning at 9:30 a.m.
Albion College 7, Saint Mary's College 2
1. Shelley Zamler (ALBION) def. Jillian Hurley (SMC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Camille Gebert (SMC) def. Anna Gundersen (ALBION) 7-5, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Franca Peluso (SMC) def. Cassie Simmelink (ALBION) 6-3, 6-3
4. Morgan Watler (ALBION) def. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Sarah Towler (ALBION) def. Mary Therese Lee (SMC) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4)
6. Katherine Batten (ALBION) def. Kate Grabarek (SMC) 6-4, 6-0
1. Shelley Zamler/Anna Gundersen (ALBION) def. Camille Gebert/Franca Peluso (SMC) 8-3
2. Cassie Simmelink/Sarah Towler (ALBION) def. Jillian Hurley/Mary Therese Lee (SMC) 8-1
3. Morgan Watler/Marissa Messenger (ALBION) def. Jessica Kosinski/Cara Rectanus (SMC) 9-7
Saint Mary's College 9, Alma College 0
1. Jillian Hurley (SMC) def. Amy Baranowski (ALMA) 6-4, 6-0
2. Camille Gebert (SMC) def. Abby McCue (ALMA) 6-2, 6-0
3. Franca Peluso (SMC) def. Jen Meloche (ALMA) 6-1, 6-2
4. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) def. Katie Meloche (ALMA) 6-4, 6-4
5. Mary Therese Lee (SMC) def. Lauren Stevenson (ALMA) 6-3, 6-3
6. Kate Grabarek (SMC) def. Kelsey Erwin (ALMA) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-5)
1. Camille Gebert/Franca Peluso (SMC) def. Amy Baranowski/Kelsey Erwin (ALMA) 9-8 (7-1)
2. Jillian Hurley/Mary Therese Lee (SMC) def. Jen Meloche/Lauren Stevenson (ALMA) 8-1
3. Jessica Kosinski/Cara Rectanus (SMC) def. Abby McCue/Katie Meloche (ALMA) 8-5