SMC vs. Calvin
Belles Fall Short Against Knights
SOUTH BEND, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team fell in a hard-fought conference match to #13 regionally ranked Calvin by a 6-3 decision on Wednesday at the South Bend Racquet Club.
Jillian Hurley and Mary Therese Lee extended their winning streak at #2 doubles with an 8-4 victory over their Calvin counterparts. While the Belles battled at both the #1 and #3 doubles slots with some very well-played points, the Saint Mary's duos at the two positions fell by 8-3 scores.
In the singles competition, Camille Gebert and Kate Grabarek both picked up big wins for the Belles. After a big comeback by Kaitlin Spoelhof of Calvin, Gebert was able to hold on to win the first set by a 6-4 score. The lone senior on the squad then fell behind in the second set by a 3-2 score before mounting a comeback of her own and winning the next four out of five games for the 6-4 decision. With Gebert holding the advantage in deuce with the serve, she was able to outlast her competition in a lengthy point to clinch the match.
Grabarek, meanwhile, came out with a commanding 6-0 victory in her first set and took a 1-0 lead in the second set. Calvin's Rachel DeGroot turned the table on Grabarek and went up 4-3 in the second set. Grabarek, however, turned the score right around again and won three straight games to claim a 6-4 win.
The Belles (8-4, 2-1 MIAA) will next take on #3 nationally ranked University of Chicago on Monday, April 12 at 4:00 p.m. (CST) in Chicago.
Calvin College 6, Saint Mary's College 3
1. Melissa Ooosterhouse (CALVINW) def. Jillian Hurley (SMC) 6-2, 7-5
2. Camille Gebert (SMC) def. Kaitlin Spoelhof (CALVINW) 6-4, 6-4
3. Elisabeth Geenen (CALVINW) def. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Rachel Strikwerda (CALVINW) def. Franca Peluso (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Michelle Busscher (CALVINW) def. Mary Therese Lee (SMC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Kate Grabarek (SMC) def. Rachel DeGroot (CALVINW) 6-0, 6-4
1. Melissa Ooosterhouse/Kaitlin Spoelhof (CALVINW) def. Camille Gebert/Franca Peluso (SMC) 8-3
2. Jillian Hurley/Mary Therese Lee (SMC) def. Jill VanVeen/Rachel Strikwerda (CALVINW) 8-4
3. Elisabeth Geenen/Rachel DeGroot (CALVINW) def. Jessica Kosinski/Cara Rectanus (SMC) 8-3
Calvin College 11-2, 4-0 MIAA; Regional ranking #13
Saint Mary's College 8-4, 2-1 MIAA
#4 doubles - Way/Grabarek (SMC) def. Doezema/Steenstra (CALVINW), 8-3
#7 singles - Monica Way (SMC) def. Jordan Ipema (CALVINW), 8-2
#8 singles - Cara Rectanus (SMC) def. Elise Doezema (CALVINW), 8-1