SMC vs. Hope
Belles Grounded by Flying Dutch
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team fell to conference foe and #12 regionally ranked Hope by an 8-1 margin on a sunny Wednesday afternoon.
Camille Gebert earned the win for the Belles at #2 singles as she moved her consecutive MIAA win streak to 24, which includes both regular season and MIAA Tournament play. The senior extended the streak with a 6-4, 6-3 victory.
Jillian Hurley made a valiant comeback bid at #1 singles for the Belles. After falling 6-3 in the opening set and falling behind early in the second set, she battled back to win the second set 6-4 to force a tiebreaker. With the outcome of the match already decided, the #1 singles competitors played a ten-point tiebreaker, which ultimately was won by Hope's Katherine Garcia.
The Belles (8-8, 2-4 MIAA) will have a quick turnaround for their next match as they are scheduled to host cross-town foe Bethel tomorrow afternoon at 4:00 p.m. at the Saint Mary's tennis courts.
#12 Hope College 8, Saint Mary's College 1
1. Katherine Garcia (HOPE) def. Jillian Hurley (SMC) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Camille Gebert (SMC) def. Danielle Werley (HOPE) 6-4, 6-3
3. Nicole Spagnuolo (HOPE) def. Franca Peluso (SMC) 6-4, 7-5
4. Casey Baxter (HOPE) def. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Marissa Kooyers (HOPE) def. Mary Therese Lee (SMC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Leah LaBarge (HOPE) def. Kate Grabarek (SMC) 6-4, 6-1
1. Danielle Werley/Leah LaBarge (HOPE) def. Jillian Hurley/Mary Therese Lee (SMC) 8-4
2. Katherine Garcia/Nicole Spagnuolo (HOPE) def. Camille Gebert/Franca Peluso (SMC) 8-3
3. Shelby Schulz/Elizabeth Olson (HOPE) def. Jessica Kosinski/Cara Rectanus (SMC) 8-3
Hope College 11-8 (5-1 MIAA); Regional ranking #12
Saint Mary's College 8-8 (2-4 MIAA)
Official: Robert Long T-2:57 A-41