SMC vs. Olivet Nazarene
Belles Battle to Defeat NAIA #24 Tigers
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - Facing a 3-1 deficit, the Saint Mary's tennis team came back to defeat NAIA Preseason #24 Olivet Nazarene by a 5-4 score on Friday night.
Jillian Hurley and Mary Therese Lee built an early lead at #2 doubles and were able to hang on for a 9-7 win to get the Belles on track. Hurley set the tone early with several aces while Lee was able to close out the Tigers with a pair of aces of her own while holding her serve to lift Saint Mary's to the win.
Hurley used the momentum she built in the doubles to take control of her #1 singles match from the get-go. The junior was able to hold off her opponent late in the second set to take a 6-2, 6-4 win. At #3 singles, Jessica Kosinski fell behind early as she lost the first set 6-1. She started off the rallies for the Belles on the night though as she was able to come from behind and win her second set 7-5 to force a third set. The junior carried over her big win in the second set into the third as she claimed the victory with a 6-3 decision.
With Saint Mary's trailing the Tigers 4-3 with just the #4 and #5 singles matches left, Franca Peluso and Mary Therese Lee were determined to keep the Belles in the match. At #5 singles, Lee was trailing her counterpart from Olivet Nazarene 5-4 in the first set before fighting back to win 7-5. Lee then went on take the second set 6-3 for the win and tying the match at 4-4. Peluso, meanwhile, had an up-hill climb at #4 singles as she fell behind 5-2 in her opening set. The junior followed the lead of her classmates and took a 6-5 lead and eventually won the first set 7-6 (7-2). With the outcome of the dual match on the line, Peluso took little time in the second set to claim her second individual win of the season and the Belles' first team victory as she closed out the match with a 6-2 win.
The Belles (1-1) will next travel to North Central College on Sunday, February 28, for a 2:00 p.m. match.
Saint Mary's College 5, Olivet Nazarene University 4
1. Jillian Hurley (SMC) def. Claudia Voicu (ONU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Erica Engelbrecht (ONU) def. Camille Gebert (SMC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) def. Alicia Cullen (ONU) 1-6, 7-5, 6-3
4. Franca Peluso (SMC) def. Taylor Stephens (ONU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
5. Mary Therese Lee (SMC) def. Ashlan Allison (ONU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Meagan Ramsey (ONU) def. Kate Grabarek (SMC) 6-4, 6-4
1. Erica Engelbrecht/Taylor Stephens (ONU) def. Camille Gebert/Franca Peluso (SMC) 8-2
2. Jillian Hurley/Mary Therese Lee (SMC) def. Claudia Voicu/Ashlan Allison (ONU) 9-7
3. Alicia Cullen/Caitlin Dodge (ONU) def. Cara Rectanus/Jessica Kosinski (SMC) 9-8 (10-8)
#7 Singles - Dodge (ONU) def. Monica Way (SMC), 9-7
#8 Singles - Cara Rectanus (SMC) def. Park (ONU), 8-1
Olivet Nazarene #24 NAIA Pre-Season Poll