SMC vs. Albion
Belles Defeated by Brits in MIAA Opener
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team fell 7-2 to Albion in their conference opener on Tuesday evening.
On the doubles side, Mary Catherine Faller and Jessica Kosinski took the lone win for the Belles in pairs competition with an 8-3 win. Kate Grabarek, meanwhile, decisively won her #5 singles match by 6-1, 6-2 scores.
Mary Therese Lee battled back from a 6-2 loss in the first set of her singles match to win the second 6-0 at #6 singles. The senior, however, came up just short in the tiebreaker by a 10-6 score. Franca Peluso also battled to a three-set loss in her #4 singles contest. The pair of Lee and Peluso were also competitive in their doubles match, but came up just short as they were on the wrong side of an 8-5 decision.
The Belles will next host Trine on Saturday, April 2, at 1:00 p.m.
Albion College 7, Saint Mary's College 2
1. Shelley Zamler (ALBION) def. Jillian Hurley (SMC) 6-0, 0-6, 6-3
2. Marissa Cloutier (ALBION) def. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Katie Blumberg (ALBION) def. MaryCatherine Faller (SMC) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
4. Sarah Towler (ALBION) def. Franca Peluso (SMC) 6-7, 6-2, 6-2
5. Kate Grabarek (SMC) def. Allie Bloodworth (ALBION) 6-1, 6-2
6. Marissa Messenger (ALBION) def. Mary Therese Lee (SMC) 6-2, 0-6, 1-0 (10-6)
1. Shelley Zamler/Marissa Cloutier (ALBION) def. Jillian Hurley/Margaret Boden (SMC) 8-3
2. Katie Blumberg/Sarah Towler (ALBION) def. Franca Peluso/Mary Therese Lee (SMC) 8-5
3. MaryCatherine Faller/Jessica Kosinski (SMC) def. Marissa Messenger/Leah Saurman (ALBION) 8-3
Albion College 5-1, 2-0 MIAA
Saint Mary's College 5-5, 0-1 MIAA
Official: Robert Long A-37