SMC vs. Alma
Belles Defeat Scots for Tenth Win of Season
ALMA, Mich. - For the sixth consecutive season, the Saint Mary's tennis team ensured they would win at least ten matches as they defeated conference foe Alma 7-2.
Jessica Kosinski and Mary Catherine Faller were dominant in their #3 doubles match as they did not drop a game in an 8-0 victory.
The Belles then went on to take all six singles matches as each member of the team won in straight sets. Jessica Kosinski carried over her play from doubles into a 6-1, 6-1 win at #2 singles for Saint Mary's. Jillian Hurley and Mary Therese Lee surrendered only four games in their singles matches with Hurley earning a 6-4, 6-0 win at #1 singles and Lee picking up the 6-1, 6-3 decision at #6 singles.
Franca Peluso was a 6-2, 6-4 winner at #4 singles for the Belles. Mary Catherine Faller and Kate Grabarek were both able to win close sets. Faller held the edge in a 7-5 opening set win and took her second set by a commanding 6-0 score. Grabarek, meanwhile, followed up a 6-1 first set win by outlasting her opponent 7-6 for the straight set victory.
The Belles return home to host MIAA opponent Adrian on Saturday beginning at 1:00 p.m. Before the start of the match, the five members of the Class of 2011 - Kate Grabarek, Jillian Hurley, Jessica Kosinski, Mary Therese Lee, and Franca Peluso - will be recognized on their Senior Day.
Saint Mary's College 7, Alma College 2
1. Jillian Hurley (SMC) def. Jen Meloche (ALMA) 6-4, 6-0
2. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) def. Abby McCue (ALMA) 6-1, 6-1
3. Mary Catherine Faller (SMC) def. Amy Baranowski (ALMA) 7-5, 6-0
4. Franca Peluso (SMC) def. Katie Meloche (ALMA) 6-2, 6-4
5. Kate Grabarek (SMC) def. Lauren Stevenson (ALMA) 6-1, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Mary Therese Lee (SMC) def. Lauren Moreau (ALMA) 6-1, 6-3
1. Abby McCue/Jen Meloche (ALMA) def. Jillian Hurley/Margaret Boden (SMC) 8-6
2. Amy Baranowski/Lauren Stevenson (ALMA) def. Mary Therese Lee/Franca Peluso (SMC) 8-4
3. Jessica Kosinski/Mary Catherine Faller (SMC) def. Lauren Moreau/Katie Meloche (ALMA) 8-0