SMC vs. Bethel
Belles Ground Pilots for Fourth Straight Win
MISHAWAKA, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team extended their current winning streak to four straight victories with a 5-1 decision over Bethel on Friday.
The match was played to decision, and the Belles won five of the first six completed matches to secure the win in just over two hours.
Mary Catherine Faller and Jessica Kosinski made quick work of their opponents at #3 doubles with an 8-2 win for the Belles. Mary Therese Lee and Franca Peluso, meanwhile, had a more difficult route to their win. The pair of seniors fell behind 4-1 and traded the next to games to be behind 5-2 before battling back for an 8-6 win at #3 doubles.
Mary Catherine Faller gave the Belles their third win of the afternoon with a 6-1, 6-1 decision at #3 singles. Jessica Kosinski and Mary Therese Lee then secured the win within minutes of one another. Kosinski was a 6-0, 6-1 winner at #2 singles while Lee gave the Belles their fifth and deciding win with a 6-2, 6-2 victory at #6 singles.
The Belles (9-5) will return to MIAA play tomorrow when they travel to Hope for a 1:00 p.m. match against the Flying Dutch.
Saint Mary's College 5, Bethel College 1
1. Jillian Hurley (SMC) vs. Molly O'Grady (BETHEL) no result
2. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) def. Brittney Anglin (BETHEL) 6-0, 6-1
3. MaryCatherine Faller (SMC) def. Whit Neuenschwander (BETHEL) 6-1, 6-1
4. Franca Peluso (SMC) vs. Sarah Cressman (BETHEL) no result
5. Kate Grabarek (SMC) vs. Jill Focht (BETHEL) no result
6. Mary Therese Lee (SMC) def. Melissa Ramer (BETHEL) 6-2, 6-2
1. Molly O'Grady/Whit Neuenschwander (BETHEL) def. Jillian Hurley/Margaret Boden (SMC) 8-3
2. Mary Therese Lee/Franca Peluso (SMC) def. Brittney Anglin/Sarah Cressman (BETHEL) 8-6
3. MaryCatherine Faller/Jessica Kosinski (SMC) def. Jill Focht/Jessica Steensma (BETHEL) 8-2