SMC vs. Calvin
Belles Edge Out Knights
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - Mary Therese Lee outlasted her opponent in singles play to earn a 5-4 win for Saint Mary's over defending MIAA Champion Calvin on Monday.
Saint Mary's was able to establish an early edge over host Calvin as the Belles took two of the three doubles competitions. Jessica Kosinski and Mary Catherine Faller earned an 8-5 win at #2 doubles. Mary Therese Lee and Franca Peluso, meanwhile, emerged with an 8-6 win at #3 doubles for Saint Mary's.
The Belles then took wins at the four, five, and six singles spots to leave Grand Rapids with the win. Franca Peluso was a 6-4, 6-0 winner at the #4 singles slot. Kate Grabarek tied the overall score at 4-4 with a 6-2, 6-4 victory at #5 singles. Mary Therese Lee then delivered the final blow to the Knights with a 6-2, 7-5 battle at #6 singles, giving the Belles the win.
The 5-4 win over the Knights is the Belles' first victory against Calvin since the 2007 regular season match-up between the teams. The victory also represents the fifth conference win of the season for Saint Mary's and moves the Belles into sole possession of third place in the MIAA heading into the regular season finale against Kalamazoo next week.
Saint Mary's (12-6, 5-2 MIAA) are scheduled to host Indiana Wesleyan tomorrow, April 19 at 4:00 p.m.
Saint Mary's College 5, Calvin College 4
1. Melissa Ooosterhouse (CALVINW) def. Jillian Hurley (SMC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Kaitlin Spoelhof (CALVINW) def. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Michelle Busscher (CALVINW) def. Mary Catherine Faller (SMC) 6-0, 6-4
4. Franca Peluso (SMC) def. Lauren Schlagenhauf (CALVINW) 6-4, 6-0
5. Kate Grabarek (SMC) def. Jordan Ipema (CALVINW) 6-2, 6-4
6. Mary Therese Lee (SMC) def. Elise Doezema (CALVINW) 6-2, 7-5
1. Melissa Ooosterhouse/Kaitlin Spoelhof (CALVINW) def. Jillian Hurley/Margaret Boden (SMC) 8-1
2. Jessica Kosinski/Mary Catherine Faller (SMC) def. Michelle Busscher/Elise Doezema (CALVINW) 8-5
3. Franca Peluso/Mary Therese Lee (SMC) def. Lauren Schlagenhauf/Bethany Zoerhof (CALVINW) 8-6