SMC vs. North Central
Belles Ground Cardinals
MISHAWAKA, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team picked up where they left off yesterday by earning an 8-1 win over North Central at the South Bend Racquet Club on Sunday.
Jessica Kosinski and Mary Catherine Faller got the Belles on the right track early as they won their #3 doubles match 8-1. Jillian Hurley and Margaret Boden followed up with an 8-4 win at #1 doubles. Mary Therese Lee and Franca Peluso made it 3-0 after doubles with an 8-3 win at #2 pairs.
Kosinski kept the pressure on the competition in her singles match as she rolled to a 6-0, 6-0 victory at #2 singles. Lee then clinched the win for Saint Mary's with a 6-1, 6-1 win at six-singles. Faller picked up a 6-2, 6-2 win at #3 singles to put the Belles up 6-0 through the completion of the first six matches.
Franca Peluso and Jillian Hurley both battled back from first set losses to pick up the seventh and eighth wins for Saint Mary's. Peluso dropped her opening set 7-5, but then came back and dominated with a 6-0 second-set win and a 10-2 decision in the super tiebreaker. Hurley had a marathon of a match at the #1 singles spot. The senior fell in a first-set tie breaker, then closed out a second-set win by holding her serve for a 6-4 win to force the tie breaker. In the deciding frame, Hurley came from behind and capped off a strong come-from-behind win with a 12-10 decision for the Belles.
Saint Mary's (7-5) will return to MIAA action when they host Olivet on Wednesday, April 6 at 4:00 p.m.
Saint Mary's College 8, North Central 1
1. Jillian Hurley (SMC) def. Conover, Abigail (NCC) 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 1-0 (12-10)
2. Jessica Kosinski (SMC) def. Youel, Margaret (NCC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Mary Catherine Faller (SMC) def. Ignarski, Allison (NCC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Franca Peluso (SMC) def. Urban, Madeline (NCC) 5-7, 6-0, 1-0 (10-2)
5. Brunetti, Stephanie (NCC) def. Kate Grabarek (SMC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Mary Therese Lee (SMC) def. Pang, Erica (NCC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Margaret Boden/Jillian Hurley (SMC) def. Conover, Abigail/Youel, Margaret (NCC) 8-4
2. Mary Therese Lee/Franca Peluso (SMC) def. Ignarski, Allison/Urban, Madeline (NCC) 8-3
3. Mary Catherine Faller/Jessica Kosinski (SMC) def. Brunetti, Stephanie/Pang, Erica (NCC) 8-1