Belles Down Comets for First Win of the Season
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Saint Mary's tennis team defeated conference foe Olivet by an 8-1 margin in the first MIAA contest of the year.
The Belles opened up a commanding lead by taking all three doubles matches of the afternoon. Margaret Boden and Jackie Kjolhede swept their number three doubles match. Mary Catherine Faller and Audrey Kiefer teamed up for the 8-4 win at one doubles, and Shannon Elliot and Kayle Sexton were 8-6 winners at number two doubles.
Boden and Kjolhede secured the win after splitting up for singles. Both players swept their singles competitions to give The Belles five of the nine possible points on the day and their first win of 2012. Mary Catherine Faller won her singles match in straight sets while Kayle Sexton and Shannon Elliot both claimed wins in super tie-breakers in singles play.
The Belles (1-1) will be in action again on Tuesday, March 6 against Indiana Tech at Notre Dame's Eck Tennis Pavilion beginning at 6:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Saint Mary's College 8, Olivet College 1
1. Mary Catherine Faller (SMC) def. Caitlin LaValley (OLIVET) 6-2, 6-4
2. Kayle Sexton (SMC) def. Kelsey Singer (OLIVET) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Shannon Elliot (SMC) def. Jenna Baker (OLIVET) 6-0, 1-6, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Jordy Bergeron (OLIVET) def. Audrey Kiefer (SMC) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-3)
5. Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) def. Megan Post (OLIVET) 6-0, 6-0
6. Margaret Boden (SMC) def. Courtney Kidder (OLIVET) 6-0, 6-0
1. Mary Catherine Faller/Audrey Kiefer (SMC) def. Caitlin LaValley/Kelsey Singer (OLIVET) 8-4
2. Shannon Elliot/Kayle Sexton (SMC) def. Jenna Baker/Jordy Bergeron (OLIVET) 8-6
3. Margaret Boden/Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) def. Courtney Kidder/Megan Post (OLIVET) 8-0