Belles Fall in MIAA Semifinal to Conclude Season
HOLLAND, Mich. - The Saint Mary's tennis team's season came to a close with a 5-0 loss to No. 26 nationally-ranked Hope in the semifinal round of the MIAA Tournament on Thursday.
Kayle Sexton and Sam Setterblad were the first group done at doubles as the pair fell by an 8-1 score at the one doubles flight. Margaret Faller and Maddie Minaudo ended on the short side of an 8-2 final at three doubles. Shannon Elliott and Andrea Fetters fought hard but were unable to claim the win at two doubles in an 8-5 final.
The match, which was played to decision, ended after two singles matches were completed. Fetters fell 6-0, 6-1 at one singles before Faller shouldered a 6-2, 6-1 loss at five singles.
The Belles end their season with an 11-10 overall record while making the top-four MIAA Tournament for the second consecutive season.
#26 Hope College 5, Saint Mary's College 0
1. Nancy Benda (HOPE) def. Andrea Fetters (SMC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Carli Capestany (HOPE) vs. Kayle Sexton (SMC) 6-5, unfinished
3. Anna Garcia (HOPE) vs. Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
4. Paige Courts (HOPE) vs. Shannon Elliott (SMC) 6-3, 5-0, unfinished
5. Kate Mader (HOPE) def. Margaret Faller (SMC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Natalie Rahrig (HOPE) vs. Bailey Oppman (SMC) 6-1, 2-0, unfinished
1. Nancy Benda/Carli Capestany (HOPE) def. Kayle Sexton/Sam Setterblad (SMC) 8-1
2. Claire Cooper/Kelly Daniel (HOPE) def. Shannon Elliott/Andrea Fetters (SMC) 8-5
3. Marie Holaway/Anna Garcia (HOPE) def. Margaret Faller/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 8-2