Belles Fall in Opener to Regionally-Ranked Spartans
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team had a tough opening match of the season as they fell to Case Western Reserve University by a 9-0 margin.
The Spartans, who are the #14 team in the Central Region, swept two of the doubles matches and two of the singles matches of the evening.
Freshman Kayle Sexton put up a solid battle in her first collegiate match of her career before falling 6-2, 6-2. Sophomore Mary Catherine Faller, who faced off against a #2 regionally-ranked Erika Lim, rebounded from a 6-0 first set to take three games in the second set before the 6-3 final.
The Belles will have two weeks to prepare for their next match, which will also be their conference opener when they travel to East Lansing to take on Olivet on March 4.
#14 Case Western Reserve Univ. 9, Saint Mary's College 0
1. Erika Lim (CASE) def. Mary Catherine Faller (SMC) 6-0, 6-3
2. Marianne Bonnano (CASE) def. Kayle Sexton (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Emily Pham (CASE) def. Shannon Elliot (SMC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Alexandra Lim (CASE) def. Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Kathleen Evers (CASE) def. Audrey Kiefer (SMC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Bianca Patel (CASE) def. Margaret Boden (SMC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Erika Lim/Alexandra Lim (CASE) def. Mary Catherine Faller/Audrey Kiefer (SMC) 8-0
2. Kathleen Evers/Bianca Patel (CASE) def. Kayle Sexton/Shannon Elliot (SMC) 8-0
3. Marianne Bonnano/Emily Pham (CASE) def. Margaret Boden/Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) 8-2