Belles Downed by Hornets
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team fell in a tough 6-3 match to conference foe Kalamazoo on Tuesday afternoon.
The Belles jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the match by taking all three doubles matches. Mary Catherine Faller and Audrey Kiefer established a 5-0 lead before winning 8-5 at their number one doubles match. Kayle Sexton and Shannon Elliott as well as Jackie Kjolhede and Margaret Boden led 3-2 early on as both sets of doubles won 8-6 for the Belles.
Kalamazoo took the next four singles matches to leave the outcome of the match in the hands of the three and four singles competitors. Both matches went to three sets as Shannon Elliott took an early lead before falling 2-6, 6-2, 6-1 in what turned out to be the deciding set. Jackie Kjolhede battled back after falling 6-1 in her first set to take a 6-4 second set and force a third. The freshman fell 6-4 in a match that featured several lengthy points.
The Belles (10-8, 3-4 MIAA) will host Hope on Saturday, April 28, beginning at 1:00 p.m.
Kalamazoo College 6, Saint Mary's College 3
1. Kelsey Hassevoort (KZO-W) def. Mary Catherine Faller (SMC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Paula Silverman (KZO-W) def. Kayle Sexton (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Kelsey Moran (KZO-W) def. Shannon Elliott (SMC) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Jenna Riehl (KZO-W) def. Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
5. Olivia Bouchard (KZO-W) def. Audrey Kiefer (SMC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Carrie Foura (KZO-W) def. Margaret Boden (SMC) 6-4, 6-0
1. Mary Catherine Faller/Audrey Kiefer (SMC) def. Kelsey Hassevoort/Paula Silverman (KZO-W) 8-5
2. Kayle Sexton/Shannon Elliott (SMC) def. Kelsey Moran/Olivia Bouchard (KZO-W) 8-6
3. Jackie Kjolhede/Margaret Boden (SMC) def. Jenna Riehl/Carrie Foura (KZO-W) 8-6
Kalamazoo College 6-14, 6-2 MIAA
Saint Mary's College 10-8, 3-4 MIAA
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,2,6,1,3,4)