Belles Take Down Cardinals
NAPERVILLE, Ill. - The Saint Mary's tennis team claimed a 7-2 victory over North Central on Monday evening.
The Belles claimed all three doubles flights and four of the six singles competitions for the decisive win.
Mary Catherine Faller and Margaret Faller paired up for an 8-4 win at the one doubles flight. Andrea Fetters and Sam Setterblad posted the same margin of victory in their three doubles match. Shannon Elliott and Audrey Kiefer edged out a 9-8 (7-3) decision at two doubles.
Andrea Fetters posted a 6-2, 6-2 win at four singles, and Shannon Elliott claimed a 6-2, 6-3 victory at three singles for the Belles. Sam Setterblad outlasted her North Central opponent at six singles with a 7-5, 6-4 decision. With the match already decided, Audrey Kiefer won an 8-5 pro set at the five singles flight to cap off the Belles' victory.
Mary Catherine Faller lost in a tough battle at one singles by 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-6) scores. Jackie Kjolhede ended on the short side of a 6-0, 6-2 decision at two singles against the Cardinals.
The Belles (11-7) will travel to Kalamazoo on Thursday, May 1 for the semifinal round of the MIAA Tournament. The fourth-seeded Belles take on the top-seeded Hornets starting at noon.
Saint Mary's College 7, North Central 2
1. Drone, Katie (NCCW) def. Mary Catherine Faller (SMC) 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-4), 10-6
2. Grizaffi, Miranda (NCCW) def. Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Shannon Elliott (SMC) def. Forkin, Kelsey (NCCW) 6-2, 6-3
4. Andrea Fetters (SMC) def. Cross, Reynolds (NCCW) 6-2, 6-2
5. Audrey Kiefer (SMC) def. Ross, Rebecca (NCCW) 8-5
6. Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. O'Connor, Clare (NCCW) 7-5, 6-4
1. Mary Catherine Faller/Margaret Faller (SMC) def. Forkin, Kelsey/Cross, Reynolds (NCCW) 8-4
2. Shannon Elliott/Audrey Kiefer (SMC) def. Drone, Katie/Grizaffi, Miranda (NCCW) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Andrea Fetters/Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. O'Connor, Clare/Bernardo, Kassandra (NCCW) 8-4