Belles Top Saints in Florida
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Saint Mary's tennis team earned a 7-2 victory over St. Scholastica on Monday afternoon.
The Belles claimed the early lead through doubles play by winning three doubles and one doubles. Margaret Faller and Andrea Fetters were 8-3 winners at the three doubles flight while Mary Catherine Faller and Kayle Sexton took an 8-4 decision in the one doubles flight.
Saint Mary's took little time to decide the match in singles play. The Belles won the first five singles matches that were decided and nearly made it a clean sweep of singles play. Andrea Fetters took a 6-1, 6-3 win at five singles, Audrey Kiefer won a 6-3, 6-2 final at six singles, and Shannon Elliott clinched the victory with a 6-1, 6-3 win at four singles.
Jackie Kjolhede was a 6-0, 6-2 winner at the three singles flight while Mary Catherine Faller added even more insurance to the Belles victory with a 6-3, 7-5 win at one singles. Kayle Sexton came back to force the tiebreaker at two singles before falling by a 12-10 margin in the super tiebreaker.
The Belles have tomorrow off and return to play on Wednesday in Orlando, Florida.
Saint Mary's College 7, St. Scholastica 2
1. Mary Catherine Faller (SMC) def. Alexis Gunderson (CSS) 6-3, 7-5
2. Madeleine Scanlan (CSS) def. Kayle Sexton (SMC) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (12-10)
3. Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) def. Jessica Solberg (CSS) 6-0, 6-2
4. Shannon Elliott (SMC) def. Alek Ochrymowicz (CSS) 6-1, 6-3
5. Andrea Fetters (SMC) def. Pamela Hartley (CSS) 6-1, 6-3
6. Audrey Kiefer (SMC) def. Kelsey Geiger (CSS) 6-3, 6-2
1. Mary Catherine Faller/Kayle Sexton (SMC) def. Alexis Gunderson/Jessica Solberg (CSS) 8-4
2. Madeleine Scanlan/Alexa Herbst (CSS) def. Shannon Elliott/Audrey Kiefer (SMC) 8-6
3. Margaret Faller/Andrea Fetters (SMC) def. Allie Carlson/Katie Kingston (CSS) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,4,3,1,2)