Belles Sunk by Saints
NILES, Mich. - The Saint Mary's tennis team lost a 7-2 match against Aquinas on Saturday night at Lakeland Athletic Club.
Maddie Minaudo and Sam Setterblad teamed up for a commanding 8-3 win at three doubles for the Belles. Shannon Elliott and Andrea Fetters, meanwhile, earned an 8-5 victory at two doubles on the night. Margaret Faller and Kayle Sexton were on the short side of an 8-2 final at one doubles.
The Saints swept the singles competitions at the match, but the Belles put up their strongest battles at four and five singles. Margaret Faller went to a tiebreaker in the opening set at four singles before dropping the set 7-6 (7-1) and falling 6-3 in the second set. Jackie Kjolhede had a marathon match at five singles. The senior won her first set 7-5 before narrowly getting edged out 6-4 in the second set to send the match to a third set tiebreaker. The points were back and forth before Kjolhede's Aquinas counterpart claimed the 10-6 victory.
The Belles are back in action in two weeks when they travel to Ohio to take on both Ohio Northern and Wittenberg on Saturday, February 21.
1. Ankita Bhatia (AQWT) def. Kayle Sexton (SMC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Remington Gerst (AQWT) def. Andrea Fetters (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Anna Musienko (AQWT) def. Shannon Elliott (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Tiffany Tuori (AQWT) def. Margaret Faller (SMC) 7-6 (7-1), 6-3
5. Marjeanne Bothma (AQWT) def. Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Jenelle Miller (AQWT) def. Bailey Oppman (SMC) 6-0, 6-1
1. Ankita Bhatia/Tiffany Tuori (AQWT) def. Margaret Faller/Kayle Sexton (SMC) 8-2
2. Shannon Elliott/Andrea Fetters (SMC) def. Marjeanne Bothma/Anna Musienko (AQWT) 8-5
3. Maddie Minaudo/Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Jenelle Miller/Remington Gerst (AQWT) 8-3