Belles Earn Pair of Wins in Florida
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Saint Mary's tennis team started off their spring break trip in Florida with two big wins on Sunday as the Belles defeated No. 39 ranked Coe 5-4 before sweeping Illinois Wesleyan 9-0.
The Belles overcame a 1-2 deficit after the completion of doubles to take four of the six singles matches and the big 5-4 win over nationally-ranked Coe.
Sam Setterblad and Maddie Minaudo continued their strong spring with a decisive 8-2 win at three doubles for the Belles. In singles action, Jackie Kjolhede, Shannon Elliott, Margaret Faller, and Bailey Oppman were all victorious for the Belles.
Kjohlede and Elliott fought their way to marathon wins at three and four singles, respectively. Kjolhede won her first set 7-5 before falling 6-3 in the second set. The senior was strong in the third set and earned a 6-3 win for the set and the match. Elliott, meanwhile, opened her match with a 6-4 first set win before her counterpart claimed a 7-6 (5) second set to force the third set. In that third set, it would be Elliott who would win the late tiebreaker 7-6 (6) for the set and the match.
Faller and Oppman were winners is straight sets. Faller was a 6-3, 6-2 victor at five singles, and Oppman cruised to a 6-1, 6-2 six singles win.
Against Illinois Wesleyan, the Belles were tough in all nine flights competed as Saint Mary's claimed a 9-0 win.
Margaret Faller and Kayle Sexton outlasted their competition for a 9-7 win at one doubles. Andrea Fetters and Shannon Elliott were dominant in an 8-0 two doubles win. Rina Moore and Kaity Venters made it a clean sweep with an 8-3 victory at three doubles for the Belles.
Kjolhede and Elliott had night and day different matches from their Coe competition against the Titans as each claimed a 6-0, 6-0 win at three and four singles, respectively. Kelsey Kopf was a 6-0, 6-1 winner at six singles. Margaret Faller earned a 6-3, 6-0 win at five singles for Saint Mary's. Andrea Fetters was a 6-1, 6-2 victor at one singles, and Kayle Sexton wrapped up the clean sweep for the Belles with a 6-4, 6-1 win at two singles on the evening.
The Belles are back in action tomorrow when they are scheduled to take on St. Scholastica at 8:00 a.m. and St. Francis at 12:30 p.m. in Orlando.
Saint Mary's College 5, #10 (Regionally)/#39 (Nationally) Coe College 4
1. #25 Haley Resnick (COEW) def. Andrea Fetters (SMC) 6-3, 6-2
2. Amy Sebastian (COEW) def. Kayle Sexton (SMC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) def. Jordan Ferree (COEW) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
4. Shannon Elliott (SMC) def. Sarah Lasecki (COEW) 6-3, 6-7 (5), 7-6 (6)
5. Margaret Faller (SMC) def. Diannah Watson (COEW) 6-3, 6-2
6. Bailey Oppman (SMC) def. Rachel Schaefer (COEW) 6-1, 6-2
1. Jordan Ferree/Laura Birky (COEW) def. Kayle Sexton/Margaret Faller (SMC) 8-6
2. Haley Resnick/Sarah Lasecki (COEW) def. Andrea Fetters/Shannon Elliott (SMC) 8-4
3. Sam Setterblad/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Tamara Washington/Kaitlin Fosler (COEW) 8-2
Saint Mary's College 9, Illinois Wesleyan 0
1. Andrea Fetters (SMC) def. Mar, Gail (IWU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Kayle Sexton (SMC) def. Huskisson, Alexa (IWU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Jackie Kjolhede (SMC) def. Wilson, Randi (IWU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Shannon Elliott (SMC) def. McGee-Morales, Claud (IWU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Margaret Faller (SMC) def. Dole, Cayla (IWU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) def. Borisova, Boryana (IWU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Margaret Faller/Kayle Sexton (SMC) def. Mar, Gail/Huskisson, Alexa (IWU) 9-7
2. Andrea Fetters/Shannon Elliott (SMC) def. Wilson, Randi/McGee-Morales, Claud (IWU) 8-0
3. Rina Moore/Kaity Venters (SMC) def. Dole, Cayla/Palma, Priscilla (IWU) 8-3