Belles Stopped by Flying Dutch
HOLLAND, Mich. - The Saint Mary's tennis team lost their conference opening match at ITA No. 33 ranked Hope by a 9-0 final on Saturday afternoon.
Sam Setterblad and Maddie Minaudo had the Belles' closest doubles match on the day with an 8-3 final at the number three flight. Andrea Fetters and Shannon Elliott were on the wrong side of an 8-2 final at two doubles, and Kayle Sexton and Margaret Faller fell in an 8-1 match at one doubles.
Bailey Oppman had the most closely-contested singles match on the day for the Belles. The freshman was narrowly edged out 6-4 in her opening set and lost the second set 6-2 at six singles. Andrea Fetters and Kayle Sexton each won at least two games in each of their sets at one and two singles, respectively. Jackie Kjolhede was stopped short by 6-3, 6-1 scores at three singles.
Margaret Faller lost a 6-3, 6-0 match at five singles, and Shannon Elliott was on the short end of a 6-1, 6-1 final at four singles for the Belles.
The team is back in action on Sunday, March 8 when they take on both Illinois Wesleyan and Coe in Orlando, Florida for the first day of their spring break trip.
1. Nancy Benda (H) d. Andrea Fetters 6-3, 6-2
2. Claire Cooper (H). d. Kayle Sexton 6-2, 6-2
3. Carli Capestany (H) d. Jackie Kjolhede 6-3, 6-1
4. Anna Garcia (H) d. Shannon Elliott 6-1, 6-1
5. Paige Courts (H) d. Margaret Faller 6-3, 6-0
6. Natalie Rahrig (H) d. Bailey Oppman 6-4, 6-2
1. Capestany/Benda (H) d. Sexton/Faller 8-1
2. Cooper/Kelly Daniel (H) d. Fetters/Elliott 8-2
3. Garcia/Marie Holaway (H) d. Samantha Setterblad/Maddie Minnado 8-3