Belles Sink Brits on Senior Day
- Sam Setterblad and Monica Davy gave the Belles a 3-0 lead going into singles play with a tight win at one doubles.
- The Belles lost two or fewer games in four of six singles flights.
- Setterblad had a big comeback win at three singles.
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team made sure Senior Day left only positive memories for Margaret Faller and Andrea Fetters as the Belles took a 9-0 conference win over Albion on Saturday.
Margaret Faller and Maddie Minaudo set the tone with an 8-0 win at two doubles. Andrea Fetters and Kaity Venters then broke open a close 4-3 match at three doubles with an 8-3 win. Up 7-6, Sam Setterblad and Monica Davy made it a clean sweep at doubles after breaking the Brits' serve without dropping a point for an 8-6 win at one doubles.
Minaudo then made quick work of her opponent by taking a 6-0, 6-0 win at five singles. Elizabeth Preister clinched the win just a few minutes later with a 6-0, 6-1 decision at six singles. Margaret Faller tacked on a 6-2, 6-0 victory at four singles for the Belles. Monica Davy came out on top in a 6-0, 6-1 final at two singles. Andrea Fetters outlasted her counterpart in a 6-4, 6-1 one singles match. Sam Setterblad bounced back from a 7-5 opening set loss with an early lead in the second set. After falling behind 5-4, the junior came back to take the second set 7-5 to set up a 10-2 super tiebreaker win for the 9-0 team victory.
The Belles (13-5, 4-2 MIAA) are back in action when they host Kalamazoo on Tuesday, April 26 at 4:00 p.m.
Saint Mary's College 9, Albion College 0
1. Andrea Fetters (SMC) def. Heather Vogt (ALBION) 6-4, 6-1
2. Monica Davy (SMC) def. Lauren Rasmussen (ALBION) 6-0, 6-1
3. Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Olivia Conover (ALBION) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-2)
4. Margaret Faller (SMC) def. Rachel Barry (ALBION) 6-2, 6-0
5. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Courtney Rogers (ALBION) 6-0, 6-0
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Kirsten Moore (ALBION) 6-0, 6-1
1. Sam Setterblad/Monica Davy (SMC) def. Heather Vogt/Lauren Rasmussen (ALBION) 8-6
2. Margaret Faller/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Chrissy Gauss/Courtney Rogers (ALBION) 8-0
3. Kaity Venters/Andrea Fetters (SMC) def. Olivia Conover/Rachel Barry (ALBION) 8-3
Albion College 9-6, 2-4 MIAA
Saint Mary's College 13-5, 4-2 MIAA
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,6,4,2,1,3)