Belles Topped by Nationally-Ranked Flying Dutch
- Andrea Fetters and Kaity Venters fell in a tiebreaker at three doubles.
- Margaret Faller and Maddie Minaudo rattled off four consecutive games but came up short at two doubles.
- Minaudo was stopped in a second-set tiebreaker at five doubles.
SOUTH BEND, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team held their own in a 9-0 loss against No. 27 ranked Hope on Saturday at the South Bend Racquet Club.
Sam Setterblad and Monica Davy claimed the opening game of their match before falling in an 8-1 final at one doubles. Margaret Faller and Maddie Minaudo trailed 7-0 in their two doubles match before rattling off four consecutive games to make it 7-4, but the rally was ended short in an 8-4 final. Andrea Fetters and Kaity Venters also staged a big comeback at three doubles. The pair fought their way back from a 7-2 deficit to take an 8-7 lead. Their counterparts from Hope, however, squared the score at 8-8 before claiming the tiebreaker 7-4 for the decision.
In singles play, Venters took the first game of her six singles match but fell by a 6-1, 6-0 final. Sam Setterblad had a similar result with a 6-1, 6-0 loss at three singles. Andrea Fetters ended on the wrong side of a 6-2, 6-2 final at one singles. Monica Davy was stopped in a 6-3, 6-2 battle at two singles. Margaret Faller lost in a 6-3, 6-1 four singles match. Maddie Minaudo bounced back from a 6-3 loss in her first set and nearly made the comeback to force a third set super tiebreaker. Minaudo turned a 4-3 deficit into a 5-4 lead before coming up short 7-3 in the set tiebreaker at five singles.
Abbi Fleming and Alaina Anderson were stopped in a 9-7 final at the exhibition four doubles flight. Elizabeth Preister earned an 8-5 win at the exhibition seven singles flight to end the match.
The Belles (8-4, 1-1 MIAA) host North Central at the South Bend Racquet Club on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
Hope College Women's Tennis 9, Saint Mary's College 0
1. Nancy Benda (HOPE) def. Andrea Fetters (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Anna Garcia (HOPE) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Marie Holaway (HOPE) def. Sam Setterblad (SMC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Kate Mader (HOPE) def. Margaret Faller (SMC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Natalie Rahrig (HOPE) def. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Taylor LaBarge (HOPE) def. Kaity Venters (SMC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Nancy Benda/Marie Holaway (HOPE) def. Sam Setterblad/Monica Davy (SMC) 8-1
2. Taylor LaBarge/Anna Garcia (HOPE) def. Maddie Minaudo/Margaret Faller (SMC) 8-4
3. Natalie Rahrig/Kate Mader (HOPE) def. Andrea Fetters/Kaity Venters (SMC) 9-8 (7-4)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,3,1,2,4,5)