Belles Stung by Hornets
- Two and three doubles were both decided by 9-7 final scores.
- Elizabeth Preister earned a 6-2, 6-4 win at six singles.
- Monica Davy battled in several lengthy points in a 6-4, 6-2 loss at two singles.
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team lost a hard-fought 8-1 conference match against regionally-ranked Kalamazoo on Tuesday night.
Despite the slightly lopsided nature of the overall team score, many of the matches were tightly contested. Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad came up on the short side of an 8-2 final at one doubles. Andrea Fetters and Kaity Venters played point for point with their Kalamazoo counterparts before being edged out 9-7 at three doubles. Maddie Minaudo and Margaret Faller came back from a 4-3 deficit to take a 5-4 lead at two doubles, but the pair fell in a 9-7 final to round out the doubles results.
Andrea Fetters stayed tough in several lengthy points but was topped by three-time MIAA Most Valuable Player Sarah Woods in a 6-2, 6-1 final at one singles. Sam Setterblad suffered a 6-0, 6-1 setback at three singles. Elizabeth Preister took an early lead and held on for a 6-2, 6-4 win at six singles. Margaret Faller was upended in a 6-3, 6-4 final at four singles. Maddie Minaudo won her opening set 6-2 before being stopped 7-5 in the second set and 10-6 in the super tiebreaker at five singles. Monica Davy was the final match on the courts, and the freshman battled in multiple points but came up short in a 6-4, 6-2 result at two singles.
Alaina Anderson and Abbi Fleming lost an 8-5 exhibition four doubles match while Kaelin Schillinger won 9-8 (3) in an exhibition seven singles match.
The Belles (13-6, 4-3 MIAA) travel to Alma on Saturday, April 30 with a trip to the MIAA Tournament on the line. The Belles would clinch a spot in the top-four only tournament with a victory over the Scots. The match begins at 1:00 p.m.
#16 Kalamazoo College 8, Saint Mary's College 1
1. #3 Sarah Woods (KZOO-W) def. Andrea Fetters (SMC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sabrina Dass (KZOO-W) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Maria Franco (KZOO-W) def. Sam Setterblad (SMC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Siani Johnson (KZOO-W) def. Margaret Faller (SMC) 6-3, 6-4
5. Katie Clark (KZOO-W) def. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Sonal Bahl (KZOO-W) 6-2, 6-4
1. #4 Sarah Woods/Sabrina Dass (KZOO-W) def. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) 8-2
2. Maria Franco/Sonal Bahl (KZOO-W) def. Margaret Faller/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 9-7
3. Alexandria Oswalt/Eloise Germic (KZOO-W) def. Andrea Fetters/Kaity Venters (SMC) 9-7
Kalamazoo College 9-9, 6-0 MIAA; Regional ranking #16
Saint Mary's College 13-6, 4-3 MIAA
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,3,6,4,5,2)