Season Comes to Close in MIAA Tournament Semifinal Loss
- Maddie Minaudo and Margaret Faller played close in a tight 8-6 loss at two doubles.
- Andrea Fetters and Kaity Venters were stopped 8-5 at three doubles.
- The Belles end the season with a 14-7 overall record.
HOLLAND, Mich. - The Saint Mary's tennis team ended their season in a 5-0 MIAA Tournament Semifinal loss to top-seeded Hope on Thursday.
The regionally-ranked and nationally-ranked Flying Dutch got out to a 3-0 lead through the completion of doubles. Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad suffered an 8-1 loss at one doubles to their regionally-ranked counterparts from Hope. Andrea Fetters and Kaity Venters kept close but ended on the short side of an 8-5 final at three doubles. Maddie Minaudo and Margaret Faller had the closest match of doubles but were edged out by the minimum two games in an 8-6 decision at two doubles.
The Flying Dutch moved a point away from ending the match after Andrea Fetters fell 6-0, 6-0 at one singles. The match was then decided after Sam Setterblad had a 6-0, 6-0 setback at three singles.
The remainder of the matches being played were halted due to the match being decided. Maddie Minaudo was leading her opponent by a 4-3 score in her opening set at four singles. Monica Davy, Margaret Faller, and Elizabeth Preister were all trailing in their matches after dropping their opening sets.
The Belles finish their season with a 14-7 overall record and made the top-four MIAA Tournament for the third consecutive season.
#8 Hope College 5, Saint Mary's College 0
1. #9 Nancy Benda (HOPE) def. Andrea Fetters (SMC) 6-0, 6-0
2. #23 Anna Garcia (HOPE) vs. Monica Davy (SMC) 6-0, 2-0, unfinished
3. Marie Holaway (HOPE) def. Sam Setterblad (SMC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Kate Mader (HOPE) vs. Margaret Faller (SMC) 6-0, 4-1, unfinished
5. Natalie Rahrig (HOPE) vs. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 3-4, unfinished
6. Taylor LaBarge (HOPE) vs. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) 6-0, 3-2, unfinished
1. #6 Marie Holaway/Nancy Benda (HOPE) def. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) 8-1
2. Anna Garcia/Taylor LaBarge (HOPE) def. Margaret Faller/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 8-6
3. Natalie Rahrig/Catherine Wingrove (HOPE) def. Andrea Fetters/Kaity Venters (SMC) 8-5
Saint Mary's College 14-7
Hope College 17-4; National ranking #34; Regional ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,3)
MIAA Tournament semifinal