Belles Fend Off Petrels for Solid Win
- The Belles took three singles matches and two doubles matches for the 5-4 win.
- Elizabeth Preister, Maddie Minaudo, and Sam Setterblad won at singles.
- Maddie Minaudo/Margaret Faller and Andrea Fetters/Kaity Venters were the doubles flights wins.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. - With the match tied 3-3 after the completion of the singles matches, the Saint Mary's tennis team took two of three doubles flights to win a 5-4 match against Oglethorpe on Tuesday evening.
Playing the singles matches first, the teams were split down the middle in terms of results. Elizabeth Preister hardly missed a beat in a 6-1, 6-1 win at six singles. Maddie Minaudo was a 6-4, 6-1 winner at five singles. Sam Setterblad was the final singles match to be decided, and the junior outlasted her counterpart for a crucial 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9) victory at four singles.
Margaret Faller was on the wrong side of a 6-3, 6-3 final at three singles. Monica Davy battled but was unable to overtake her opponent in a 6-4, 6-3 match at two singles. Andrea Fetters refused to go down without a fight in a 6-0, 7-5 loss at one singles.
Maddie Minaudo and Margaret Faller were nearly unstoppable at two doubles as the pair jumped out to an early lead before taking the 8-2 win to put the Belles one win away from the match victory. The next match completed - three doubles - saw Andrea Fetters and Kaity Venters also get out to an early lead and clinch the team decision with an 8-4 win. Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad had an 8-1 setback at the one doubles flight to round out the results.
The Belles (4-2) take on both Ohio Wesleyan and Wheaton (Ill.) on Wednesday at 12:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m., respectively.
Saint Mary's College 5, Oglethorpe 4
1. Caroline Johnson (OUW) def. Andrea Fetters (SMC) 6-0, 7-5
2. Shannon Cruz (OUW) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Katherine Walker (OUW) def. Margaret Faller (SMC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Ingrid Wilcox (OUW) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)
5. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. MaryAnne Hafen (OUW) 6-4, 6-1
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Halley Sickling (OUW) 6-1, 6-1
1. Caroline Johnson/Katherine Walker (OUW) def. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) 8-1
2. Margaret Faller/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Delaney Abood/Shannon Cruz (OUW) 8-2
3. Andrea Fetters/Kaity Venters (SMC) def. Halley Sickling/Ingrid Wilcox (OUW) 8-4