Belles Split Results Against Gophers, Saints
- The Belles defeated Goucher but fell to St. Scholastica on Tuesday.
- Saint Mary's dropped just four games in doubles in the win against Goucher.
- Meaghan Flynn, Maddie Minaudo, and Elizabeth Preister each won both singles competitions on the day.
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Saint Mary's tennis team took a 9-0 victory over Goucher on Tuesday afternoon. The second match of the day saw the Belles come up short in a 6-3 loss to St. Scholastica.
The three doubles flights dropped a combined four games en route to three victories for the Belles to set the tone early. Elizabeth Preister and Kaity Venters led the way with an 8-0 win at the number three flight. Sam Setterblad and Monica Davy earned an 8-2 win at one doubles, and Maddie Minaduo and Meaghan Flynn matched that effort with an 8-2 victory at two doubles.
In singles play, Kelsey Kopf, Meaghan Flynn, Maddie Minaudo, and Preister each picked up straight-set victories. Kopf was a 6-0, 6-3 winner at two singles. Flynn was dominant in a 6-1, 6-1 decision at four singles. Minaudo registered a 6-3, 6-2 five singles win. Preister barely missed a beat in a 6-1, 6-0 six singles final. Sam Setterblad earned a come-from-behind 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7) win at three singles. Monica Davy out-lasted her opponent 6-3, 5-6, 1-0 (10-7) at one singles to wrap up the 9-0 team victory.
In the match up against the Saints, the Belles fell behind 3-0 through the completion of doubles. Davy and Setterblad were on the short end of an 8-4 final at one doubles. Venters and Flynn held tight but were stopped 8-6 at two doubles. Similarly, Kopf and Minaudo were dealt an 8-6 setback at three doubles.
Kopf fell in a 6-4, 6-1 final at two singles. Setterblad took the opening set 6-3, but her counterpart came back for a 6-1, 1-0 (10-8) decision at three singles. Davy had an even tighter one singles competition but was narrowly edged out in a 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6) final. Minaudo claimed a 6-4, 6-3 five singles win to get the Belles on the scoreboard. Meaghan Flynn held off a comeback effort for a 7-5, 0-6, 1-0 (10-7) four singles victory. Preister picked up the third point for the Belles in a 6-0, 6-2 win at six singles.
The Belles (4-5) are off from competition on Wednesday and return to the court on Thursday with matches against William Smith and St. Norbert.
Saint Mary's College 9, Goucher 0
1. Monica Davy (SMC) def. Mandile Mpofu (GOUW) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) def. A. Goldstein-Plesser (GOUW) 6-0, 6-3
3. Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Leigh Oehrig (GOUW) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Meaghan Flynn (SMC) def. Ali Gorson-Morrow (GOUW) 6-1, 6-1
5. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Ali Tomasevich (GOUW) 6-3, 6-2
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Mackenzie Donohue (GOUW) 6-1, 6-0
1. Sam Setterblad/Monica Davy (SMC) def. Mandile Mpofu/Leigh Oehrig (GOUW) 8-2
2. Maddie Minaudo/Meaghan Flynn (SMC) def. A. Goldstein-Plesser/Ali Gorson-Morrow (GOUW) 8-2
3. Elizabeth Preister/Kaity Venters (SMC) def. Ali Tomasevich/Mackenzie Donohue (GOUW) 8-0
St. Scholastica 6, Saint Mary's (IN) 3
1. Jessica Solberg (CSS) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Madeleine Scanlan (CSS) def. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Elise Hauer (CSS) def. Sam Setterblad (SMC) 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Meaghan Flynn (SMC) def. Sarah Coryell (CSS) 7-5, 0-6, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Katelyn Rice (CSS) 6-4, 6-3
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Alexia Brascugli (CSS) 6-0, 6-2
1. Jessica Solberg/Madeleine Scanlan (CSS) def. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) 8-4
2. Katelyn Rice/Elizabeth Fink (CSS) def. Kaity Venters/Meaghan Flynn (SMC) 8-6
3. Elise Hauer/Miki Samz (CSS) def. Kelsey Kopf/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 8-6