Belles Pick Up Pair of Wins in Ohio
- The Belles posted a combined 6-0 record in doubles play.
- Maddie Minaudo was a combined 4-0 at doubles and singles.
- Elizabeth Preister won each game she competed in at five singles.
DAYTON, Ohio - The Saint Mary's tennis team earned a pair of 7-2 wins over Saint Francis (Indiana) and Wittenberg on Saturday.
The Belles opened up the day with a victory over NAIA member Saint Francis (Indiana). Saint Mary's took control of the match by establishing a 3-0 lead through the completion of doubles. Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad teamed up for a strong 8-2 win at the top flight. Kelsey Kopf and Maddie Minaudo earned an 8-3 decision at three doubles. Meaghan Flynn and Kaity Venters then out-lasted their counterparts for a 9-7 final at two doubles.
Minaudo and Elizabeth Preister took 6-0, 6-0 wins at four and five singles, respectively, to clinch the win for the Belles. Monica Davy was a 6-1, 6-1 victor at one singles. Elizabeth Bush held off a comeback effort by her opponent at six singles for a 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7) win for the Belles. Kopf and Flynn were narrowly edged out in their singles matches. Kopf nearly made a big comeback at two singles but came up short 6-1, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (11-9). Flynn had an even tighter match at three singles in a 6-7 (6-8), 7-5, 1-0 (10-6) setback.
The Belles then made it 2-0 on the day with a similarly strong start against Wittenberg. Saint Mary's swept the doubles competition in much more decisive fashion in their second match on Saturday. Minaduo and Kopf teamed up for an 8-1 win at three doubles. Both the pairings of Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad at one doubles and that of Meaghan Flynn and Kaity Venters at two doubles picked up 8-3 wins to give Saint Mary's the 3-0 edge going into singles.
Preister picked up her second 6-0, 6-0 win of the day at five singles, and Kopf dropped just three games in a 6-1, 6-2 victory at two singles. Minaudo was a straight-set winner at four singles with a 6-3, 6-2 decision. Flynn then came out on top of a tiebreaker match at three singles with a 6-1, 1-6, 1-0 (10-5) win. Bush was on the short end of a 6-3, 6-1 final at six singles, and Davy suffered a tiebreaker loss at one singles in an incredibly tight 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9) final.
The Belles (3-1) are back in action tomorrow morning when they square off against Ohio Wesleyan at 10:00 a.m.
Saint Mary's College 7, Saint Francis (IN)
1. Monica Davy (SMC) def. Grace Heise (USF-IN) 6-1, 6-1
2. Hannah Haas (USF-IN) def. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) 6-1, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (11-9)
3. Taylor Stanchin (USF-IN) def. Meaghan Flynn (SMC) 6-7 (6-8), 7-5, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Brittany Barger (USF-IN) 6-0, 6-0
5. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Shelby Richardson (USF-IN) 6-0, 6-0
6. Elizabeth Bush (SMC) def. Lauren Zack (USF-IN) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Hannah Haas/Kaylin Gibson (USF-IN) 8-2
2. Meaghan Flynn/Kaity Venters (SMC) def. Taylor Stanchin/Shelby Richardson (USF-IN) 9-7
3. Kelsey Kopf/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Brittany Barger/Grace Heise (USF-IN) 8-3
Saint Mary's College 7, Wittenberg University 2
1. Carli Milano (WITT) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) def. Sarah Gallup (WITT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Meaghan Flynn (SMC) def. Alivia Livesay (WITT) 6-1, 1-6, 1-0 (10-5)
4. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Sarah Frisch (WITT) 6-3, 6-2
5. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Nora Jacobson (WITT) 6-0, 6-0
6. Hannah Bowman (WITT) def. Elizabeth Bush (SMC) 6-3, 6-1
1. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Carli Milano/Sarah Frisch (WITT) 8-3
2. Meaghan Flynn/Kaity Venters (SMC) def. Sarah Gallup/Alivia Livesay (WITT) 8-3
3. Maddie Minaudo/Kelsey Kopf (SMC) def. Nora Jacobson/Hannah Bowman (WITT) 8-1