Belles Sunk by Herons, Green Knights
- The Belles played their second regionally-ranked opponent of their spring trip in William Smith.
- Sam Setterblad earned doubles and singles wins against St. Norbert.
- Elizabeth Preister and Maddie Minaudo picked up singles wins against the Green Knights.
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Saint Mary's tennis team closed out their spring break trip to Florida with a 9-0 loss to regionally-ranked William Smith before bowing 5-4 to St. Norbert.
In the opening match of the day, the regionally-ranked Herons set the tone with three wins in doubles play. Kelsey Kopf and Maddie Minaudo took a pair of games in an 8-2 setback at three doubles. Monica Davy and Sam Setterblad suffered an 8-0 loss at one doubles, and Meghan Flynn and Kaity Venters shouldered a matching 8-0 loss at two doubles.
Sam Setterblad was narrowly edged out of an opening set win at three singles before finishing on the short end of a 7-5, 6-1 final. Elizabeth Preister came up shy in a 6-3, 6-3 six singles match, and Kelsey Kopf fell 6-3, 6-2 at two singles. Monica Davy, Meaghan Flynn, and Maddie Minaudo each won three games against strong competition but were out-scored in their respective singles matches. Davy had a 6-2, 6-1 final at one singles; Flynn's four singles match ended 6-3, 6-0; and Minaudo had a 6-1, 6-2 setback at five singles.
Against the Green Knights, Davy and Setterblad battled to an 8-6 one doubles win. Venters and Preister fell just short in an 8-5 three doubles final, and Flynn and Minaudo suffered an 8-3 loss at two doubles.
Setterblad went on to grind out a hard-fought 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (10-7) victory at three singles. Preister outlasted her opponent in the opening set on her way to a 7-5, 6-3 win at six singles. Similarly, Minaudo gutted out a 7-5, 6-2 decision at four singles. Kopf fell short in her comeback bid at two singles in a 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8) loss. Davy was overtaken in a 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5) setback at one singles. Abbi Fleming came up on the wrong end of a 6-2, 6-2 five singles final.
The Belles (4-7) return to competition on Friday, March 24 when they host Wheaton at 7:00 p.m.
William Smith 9, Saint Mary's College 0
1. Hannah More (WSC) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Michaelann Denton (WSC) def. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Allie Perron (WSC) def. Sam Setterblad (SMC) 7-5, 6-1
4. Kate Foley (WSC) def. Meaghan Flynn (SMC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Alex Greenberg (WSC) def. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Leland Barclay (WSC) def. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) 6-3, 6-3
1. Hannah More/Katarina Kostovic (WSC) def. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) 8-0
2. Michaelann Denton/Allie Perron (WSC) def. Meaghan Flynn/Kaity Venters (SMC) 8-0
3. Kate Foley/Alex Greenberg (WSC) def. Kelsey Kopf/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 8-2
Saint Mary's College 4-6
William Smith 5-2; Regional ranking #20
St. Norbert College 5, Saint Mary's College 4
1. Elizabeth Manlick (SNC) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 4-6, 6-4, 10-5
2. Katherine Ake (SNC) def. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) 6-1, 4-6, 10-8
3. Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Anna Gosz (SNC) 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 10-7
4. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Ashley Randazzo (SNC) 7-5, 6-2
5. Meg Witt (SNC) def. Abbi Fleming (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Stephanie Doerfert (SNC) 7-5, 6-3
1. Monica Davy/Sam Setterblad (SMC) def. Elizabeth Manlick/Meg Witt (SNC) 8-6
2. Anna Gosz/Ashley Randazzo (SNC) def. Meaghan Flynn/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) 8-3
3. Katherine Ake/Stephanie Doerfert (SNC) def. Kaity Venters/Elizabeth Preister (SMC) 8-5
Saint Mary's College 4-7
St. Norbert College 14-7