Belles Topped by Foresters
- Maddie Minaudo and Elizabeth Preister fell in a close 8-5 match at three doubles.
- Minaudo went on to win 6-3, 6-2 at six singles.
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team fell in an 8-1 final to Huntington University on Thursday evening.
The Foresters picked up the early lead by taking all three doubles decisions, but the Belles battled against the highly-competitive squad from Huntington. Monica Davy and Megan Davy won the opening game of their one doubles competition. Their counterparts claimed five of the next six games for a 5-2 lead before taking the match by an 8-3 margin. Christina Lombardi and Lilly Chamberlin battled back from a 2-1 deficit to take a 3-2 lead at the two doubles flight. The pair fell behind 6-3 and stayed close at 7-4 before falling 8-4. Maddie Minaudo and Elizabeth Preister were the final pair on the court, and the two were in a back-and-forth match at three doubles. The duo held tight at 3-2 and 4-3 deficits and cut within 7-5, but they were unable to make the late comeback in an 8-5 setback.
Chamberlin came up on the short side of a 6-0, 6-0 final at five singles. Minaudo, however, was strong in her six singles match as the senior claimed a 6-3, 6-2 victory. Kelsey Kopf was in a tightly contested match at four singles. She and her counterpart broke each other's serve in the first four games of the opening set, which saw Kopf fall behind 2-1. Kopf was unable to continue that streak of breaking serve going as she fell 6-3 in the opening set and fell 6-0 in the second set.
Lombardi, Megan Davy, and Monica Davy were all locked in tight competitions in the 1-3 singles flights as the efforts for the Belles were not directly reflected in the final score lines. Lombardi held her own in a 6-1, 6-2 setback at one singles. Megan Davy came up shy in a 6-1, 6-2 final at three singles. Monica Davy was within a game at both 4-3 in the first set and 3-2 in the second set but fell in a 6-3, 6-2 two singles decision.
In exhibition play, Kelsey Kopf and Lily Brand won an 8-2 four doubles match while Elizabeth Preister and Nicole Becker each won in an eight-game singles match.
The Belles (0-1) return to competition in the spring semester when they host both Saint Francis and Wittenberg on February 17.
Huntington University 8, Saint Mary's College 1
1. Constanze Goelz (HU) def. Christina Lombardi (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Meg Dolde (HU) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Lanae Singleton (HU) def. Megan Davy (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Charlotte Seth (HU) def. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Lisa Colling (HU) def. Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Ana Evstifeeva (HU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Constanze Goelz/Meg Dolde (HU) def. Monica Davy/Megan Davy (SMC) 8-3
2. Lanae Singleton/Lisa Colling (HU) def. Christina Lombardi/Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) 8-4
3. Ana Evstifeeva/Charlotte Seth (HU) def. Maddie Minaudo/Elizabeth Preister (SMC) 8-5
Huntington University 11-2
Saint Mary's College 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,6,4,1,3,2)