Belles Earn Pair of Wins Against Tigers, Cougars
- Megan Davy and Maddie Minaudo were each part of four wins on the day.
- Kelsey Kopf helped the Belles to three wins combined in doubles and singles play.
- The Belles won all six singles flights against Saint Francis in straight sets.
ELKHART, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team picked up a pair of decisive wins with a 6-3 victory over Wittenberg and a 9-0 decision against Saint Francis (Ind).
The Belles jumped out to a 3-0 lead through doubles play against Wittenberg to open the day at Eastlake Athletic Club. Lilly Chamberlin and Maddie Minaudo came back from an early 3-2 deficit to edge ahead 7-4 at two doubles. Two games later, the pair broke the opposition's serve for an 8-5 win. Kelsey Kopf and Lily Brandt flipped a 3-2 deficit into a 4-3 lead and went on to win four of the next five games for an 8-4 victory at three doubles. Monica Davy and Megan Davy battled their way through several lengthy points at one doubles before claiming an 8-2 victory for Saint Mary's.
Minaudo went on to take a quick 6-0, 6-1 win at five singles, and Kopf clinched the team win with a 6-2, 6-3 final at four singles. Megan Davy took a 6-3, 6-4 win at three singles to put the Belles up 6-0. The visiting Tigers took each of the three remaining singles matches being contested. Monica Davy rallied to force a tiebreaker at two singles but came up short in a 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5) final. Christina Lombardi had several marathon points at one singles but fell in a 6-3, 6-1 match. Elizabeth Preister also rallied to force a tiebreaker but had a 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-2) setback at six singles.
Later in the evening, the Belles again swept the doubles play to help set up the team victory. Minaudo and Chamberlin teamed up for an 8-2 win at two doubles, and Lombardi and Preister finished a short while later with an 8-1 win at three doubles. Monica and Megan Davy battled their way back from a deficit to take a nail-biting 9-7 win at one doubles to put Saint Mary's up 3-0.
Kelsey Kopf earned a 6-1, 6-4 win at four singles, and Lilly Chamberlin clinched the team win without dropping a game in a 6-0, 6-0 final at five singles. Megan Davy jumped out to a lead with a 6-0 win in the first set and rallied from a three-game deficit to take the second set 6-3 at three singles. Lombardi barely missed a beat in a 6-0, 6-1 win at one singles, and Monica Davy finished her day with a 6-0, 6-3 win at two singles. Maddie Minaudo rounded out the evening with a 6-0, 6-1 victory at six singles to give the Belles the 9-0 win.
The Belles (2-2) return to action on March 11 over their spring break when they travel to Texas.
Saint Mary's College 6, Wittenberg University 3
1. Carli Milano (WITT) def. Christina Lombardi (SMC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Sarah Gallup (WITT) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Megan Davy (SMC) def. Harunya Ravindran (WITT) 6-3, 6-4
4. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) def. Kathleen McGuff (WITT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Sarah Frisch (WITT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Alivia Livesay (WITT) def. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-2)
1. Megan Davy/Monica Davy (SMC) def. Carli Milano/Zandrea Simpson (WITT) 8-2
2. Lilly Chamberlin/Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Sarah Gallup/Harunya Ravindran (WITT) 8-5
3. Kelsey Kopf/Lily Brandt (SMC) def. Sarah Frisch/Alivia Livesay (WITT) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,4,3,2,1,6)
Saint Mary's College 9, Saint Francis (Ind.) 0
1. Christina Lombardi (SMC) def. Hannah Haas (SF) 6-0, 6-1
2. Monica Davy (SMC) def. Rebecca Faber (SF) 6-0, 6-3
3. Megan Davy (SMC) def. Jenna Lehman (SF) 6-0, 6-3
4. Kelsey Kopf (SMC) def. Shelby Richardson (SF) 6-1, 6-4
5. Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) def. Lauren Zack (SF) 6-0, 6-0
6. Maddie Minaudo (SMC) def. Christina King (SF) 6-0, 6-1
1. Megan Davy/Monica Davy (SMC) def. Hannah Haas/Jenna Lehman (SF) 9-7
2. Maddie Minaudo/Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) def. Shelby Richardson/Rebecca Faber (SF) 8-2
3. Christina Lombardi/Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Lauren Zack/Andi Douthitt (SF) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,5,3,1,2,6)