Anita M. Houck
Anita M. Houck
PhD, University of Chicago
MEd, Harvard University
BA, Wesleyan University
- Religion and laughter
- Spirituality of single life
- Inter-religious engagement
Courses Recently Taught
- RLST 101: Introducing religious studies (world religions in dialogue)
- RLST 318: Heaven and Hell
- I was a parish minister (including Director of Religious Education, RCIA Coordinator, and Pastoral Associate) at St.Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago from 1993-1999.
- Before pursuing my Ph.D., I taught high school Religion and English.
Creative and Scholarly Work
- Houck, Anita, co-edited with Mary Doak. Translating Religion. Orbis, 2013.
- You Are Here: Engagement, Spirituality, and Slow Teaching. Becoming Beholders: Cultivating Sacramental Imagination and Actions in College Classrooms, ed. Thomas Landy and Nancy Eifler, Liturgical Press, 2014. (The book has now received three awards.)
- “Single in the Church.” Human Development 28:4 Winter (2007): 7-16.
- “God, Humor, and Humanity from The Iliad to The Onion.” Invited lecture, Garaventa Center, University of Portland, April 9, 2015.
- “Holiness and Humor.” Plenary address, Bi-annual Meeting of the Spirituality Association of South Africa (SPIRASA) and the Society for the Study of Christian Spirituality (SSCS), “Holiness: On the Holy, the Holy One, Sanctification and Saints.” St. Augustine College, Johannesburg, South Africa, May 22, 2015.
- “Speaking through the Impasse: A Bakhtinian Way into Spirituality.” Catholic Theological Society of America, Halifax, Nova Scotia, June 5, 2009.
- Society for the Study of Christian Spirituality
- American Academy of Religion
- Catholic Theological Society of America
- College Theology Society