PhD, Northern Illinois University
MA, Northern Illinois University
BS, Central Michigan University
- Treatment of anxiety-based disorders
- Safe use of benzodiazepines in anxiety treatment
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Neuropsychological rehabilitation
Courses Recently Taught
- PSYC 323: Psychology of personality
- PSYC 326: Abnormal psychology
- PSYC 381: Clinical psychology
- PSYC 386: Practicum in clinical and community psychology
- PSYC 389: Practicum teaching psychology
- Roseland Counseling, practicing clinical psychologist working with patients coping with anxiety, depression, or PTSD; providing treatment focusing on neurpsychological rehabilitation after brain injury or stroke; working with LGBT individuals
- Authored two books on coping with anxiety-based disorders, drawring from years of working in brain injury treatment
- Over twenty-five years of experience providing treatment based in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) strategies
Creative and Scholarly Work
- Pittman, C. M. (January, 2016) Your Anxious Brain on Drugs. Webinar on Medications for Anxiety. Anxiety and Depression Association of America Webinar Series. https://www.adaa.org/living-
- Pittman, C.M. (April, 2016). Medications in the Anxious Brain: Explaining the Strategic Use of Medications in CBT. Refereed workshop presented at the 36th Annual National Conference of the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Pittman, C. M., & Karle, E. M. (2015). Rewire Your Anxious Brain: How to Use the Neuroscience of Fear to End Anxiety, Panic, and Worry. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger.
- Pittman, C.M. (June, 2015). "OCD Treatment: Effective Evidence-based Techniques for the Management of Obsessions and Compulsions." Continuing Education Presentation, Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame, IN.
- Pittman, C. M. (March, 2014) "Using Both Cortex-based and Amygdala-based Strategies in Anxiety Treatment." Refereed workshop presented at the 34th Annual National Conference of the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, Chicago, IL.
- Pittman, C. M., W. H. Youngs. (April, 2013). "Social Networking and Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: The Realities of Dependence and the Necessity of Support." Refereed paper presented at the 33rd Annual National Conference of the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, La Jolla, CA.
- Pittman, C. M., Karle, E. M. (2009). Extinguishing Anxiety: Whole Brain Strategies to Relieve Fear and Stress. South Bend, IN: Foliadeux Press.
- Pittman, C. M. (March, 2009). "Integrating CBT with the Neuropsychology of Anxiety: A Whole Brain Approach." Refereed paper presented at the 29th Annual National Conference of the Anxiety Disorders Association of America, Albuquerque, NM.
Anxiety and Depression Association of American
American Association of University Women