PhD, University of Notre Dame
BS, MS, University of Manitoba
- Fruit fly vision
- Fruit fly genomics
- Yeast biosensors
- Science education
Courses Recently Taught
- BIO 230: Molecular cell biology
- BIO 310: Teaching in biology
- BIO 330: Seminar in molecular/cellular biology
- BIO 331: Biotechnology
- BIO 385: Introduction to research
- BIO 485: Research in biology
- IU Health Goshen Hospital Institutional Review Board, current board member
Creative and Scholarly Work
- Leung W., M.E. Aldrup, J.M. Bodenberg, M.G. Cole, K.M. Deranek, M. DeShetler, R.M.Dowd, A.K. Eckardt, S.C. Ehret, H.L. Eisler, J. Fese, A.D. Garrett, A. Kammrath, M.L. Kappes, M.R. Light, A.C. Meier, A. O'Rouke, D.W. Paetkau, M. Perella, K. Ramsey, J.R. Ramthun, M.T. Reilly, D. Robinett, N.L. Rossi, M.G. Schueler, E. Shoemaker, K.M. Starkey, A. Vetor, A. Vrable, E. Mardis, J. Buhler, S.C.R. Elgin. "Drosophila Muller F elements maintain a distinct set of genomic properties over 40 million years of evolution." G3 (Bethesda) 5 (2015): 719-740. (Internal authors indicate Saint Mary's College faculty and alumnae.)
- Lopatto D., C. Hauser, C.J. Jones, D. Paetkau, V. Chandrasekaran. D. Dunbar, C. Mackinnon, J. Stamm, C. Alvarez, D. Barnard, S.C.R. Elgin. "A central support system can facilitate implementation and sustainability of a classroom-based undergraduate research experience (CURE) in genomics." CBE-Life Sciences Education 13 (2014): 711-723.
- Shaffer, C.D., C.J. Alvarez, A.E. Bednarksi, D. Dunbar, A.L.Goodman, C. Reinke, A.G.Rosenwald, M.J. Wolyniak, C. Bailey, D. Barnard, D.W. Paetkau, S.C. Elgin. "A course-based research experience: how benefits change with increased investment in instructional time." CBE-Life Sciences Education 13 (2014): 111-130.
- Paetkau, D.W., V. A. Elagin, L.M. Sendi, D. R. Hyde. "Isolation and characterization of Drosophila retinal degeneration B suppressors." Genetics 151 (1999): 713-724.
- Paetkau, D.W., J.A. Riese, W.S. MacMorran, R. A. Woods, R.D. Gietz. "Interactions of the yeast Rad7 and Sir3 proteins: implications for DNA repair and chromatin structure." Genes & Dev. 8 (1994): 2035-2045.
Genetics Society of America, 1998-present
Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Society, 2005-present
Beta Beta Beta: National Biological Honors Society, 2006-present
Association for Biological Laboratory Education, 2013-present