PhD, University of Missouri
MA, University of Missouri
BA, Korean National Open University
- Effective instructional methods and strategies
- Performance-based assessment
- Mathematics education in elementary school
- Early childhood education
- International comparative studies
Courses Recently Taught
- EDUC 215: Teaching wellness in elementary and middle school
- EDUC 305: Teaching mathematics in elementary and middle school
- EDUC 310: Intro to early childhood education
- EDUC 311: Curriculum and assessment in early childhood education
- EDUC 425: Clinical field study
- EDUC 480: Seminar in early childhood education
Creative and Scholarly Work
- "Self-constructing concepts and inventing algorithms for fraction operations through a concrete hands-on manipulative." Presented at the 12th International Congress on Mathematical Education (ICME), Seoul, Korea.
- "Comparing elementary mathematics curricula of Korea and the United States." Presented at the 1st International Mathematics Curriculum Conference, Center for the Study of Mathematics Curriculum, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- "A comparative assessment of constructivist and traditionalist approaches to establishing mathematical connections in learning multiplication." Published in Education, 125(2), 271-278.
- "Korean teachers’ perceptions of student success in mathematics: Concept versus procedure." Published in The Montana Mathematics Enthusiast, 16 (1&2), 239-256.
- "Developing geometry concepts and creative patterning for English Language Learners (ELL)." Presented at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Regional Meeting in Indianapolis, IN.
- "Creative math: Patterns and algebraic thinking with multicultural sensory materials." Presented at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Annual Conference in Denver, CO.
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), 1994-present
National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), 1993-present
International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME), 2004-present
International Congress on Mathematics Education (ICME), 2012-present
Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI), 1994-2010
National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics, 2004-2008 Association for Constructivist Teaching, 1995-2007
Kappa Delta Phi, 1994-1995
Phi Kappa Phi, 1993-1995