Mary Ann Kanieski
PhD, Purdue University
MS, Purdue University
BA, Central Michigan University
- Parenting culture
- Constructions of childhood
- Sociology of poverty
Courses Recently Taught
- SOC 204: Social psychology
- SOC 257: Sociology of families
- SOC 345: Sociology of poverty
- SOC 350: Diverse childhoods
- SOC 372: Sociological statistics
- SOC 384: Sociological research methods
- University of Kent, Centre for Parenting Culture Studies, Research Associate
Creative and Scholarly Work
- “Securing Attachment: The Shifting Medicalisation of Attachment and Attachment Disorders.” Health Risk and Society 12, 4. (2010): 335-344.
- “The Poor Are Different From You and Me…. They Have Less Money: A Review Essay.” Social Science Journal 39, 3. (2002): 503-509.
- “Responsibilizing Parents: Parent Education and Governmentality.” Presented at the American Sociological Association annual meetings, New York, NY, August 12, 2013.
- “Interpreting Children's Needs: Mothers, Classes, and Selves.” Presented at the Society for the Study of Social Problems Annual Meetings, Denver, CO, August 18, 2012.
American Sociological Association
Society for the Study of Social Problems
Sociologists for Women in Society