Michael R. Kramer
PhD, University of Minnesota
JD, University of Wisconsin, Madison
MA, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
BS, Winona State University
- Political communication
- Apologia and image restoration
- Presidential rhetoric
- Rhetorical criticism of comic books and graphic novels
- Public memory and material rhetorics
Courses Recently Taught
- COMM 302: History and criticism of public address
- COMM 308: Persuasion
- COMM 330: Critical issues in mass communication
- COMM 383: Art and entertainment law
- COMM 495: Seminar in rhetoric and criticism
- Spent seven years working in state and federal courts after earning a law degree from the University of Wisconsin and prior to becoming a professor
Creative and Scholarly Work
- "Image Repair Rhetoric and Shock Radio: Don Imus, Al Sharpton, and the Rutgers Women’s Basketball Team Controversy." Journal of Radio & Audio Media, 21(2) (2014): 247-257.
- "Strict Father or Nurturant Parent? President Jimmy Carter’s Rhetoric of Morality in Support of the Panama Canal Treaties." Carolinas Communication Annual, 28 (2012): 61-90.
- "Temporal Ethos: A Shifting Rhetorical Resource in Arguments about War and Peace." Florida Communication Journal, 37 (2008): 12-26.
- Kramer, M., K. Olson. "The Strategic Potential of Sequencing Apologia Stases: President Bill Clinton's Self-Defense in the Monica Lewinsky Scandal." Western Journal of Communication, 66 (2002): 347-368.
National Communication Association
State Bar of Wisconsin